ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch plate spring damage

As some of you may know from a previous thread I have been having a few issues with my car. There was a noise and a "slipping" in the transmission which started happening as the car was being driven hard, as well as the occsional banging after changing gear and when lifting off and re-applying the accelerator..

I have taken the clutch out of the car and this is what I have found. The springs on the clutch plates have marks from touching the flywheel nuts.

Has anyone else had this issue?
I am not convinced that this is the source of my trouble, but the clutch is certainly very worn ( I think it is the original at 82K)

The gearbox oil which I drained was clean with no signs of metal contamination, and the diff, driveshafts etc all look in good condition.

Here are a couple of photos of the clutch plate.

P1040365.gif

P1040366.gif

P1040367.gif

yea something wrong there, was the cover plate on properly when you took it off?

It looked to be correct.

Not questioning your mechanical ability but did you put the pressure plate in the correct way ?

I haven't put anything on, this is the old clutch that I have just taken off. The pressure plate won't fit the other way. :wink:

The thickness of the friction material on the old clutch was 6mm less than the one I am going to put in, although it wasn't on the rivets.

renault clio 1.4 16v
could just be acting french and trying to lighten itself, wouldnt be the first time ive seen stuff that was incorectly installed at the factory