ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clutch pedal is very stiff

Scirocco GT 210
learn to drive :D guess your type R had a soft pedal so the OAPs could manage it? correct? :p

Stiff but not foot numbing stiff like the cup:eek:

If you found the CTR clutch stiff then no wonder you're having trouble with a 172 clutch. :rasp:

You get used to the clutch, don't worry. Although saying that I still put my foot through the floor everytime I change gear in the civic now. It's what clio ownership does to you. :clown:

120d M Sport
Same as Brett1990, my 1.2 has quite a stiff clutch action, and a kinda sharp pullaway as someone else picked up on. I quite like the stiff pedal though, gives it a nice weighty feel, not a fan of featherweight clutches like on the new VW's, that feels artificial almost to me

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
My wifes 182 clutch is alot stiffer than my Trophys

had a GTI-6 a few years back and this was a common problem as cable dried out next to exhaust. Replaced cable and hey presto light cluch. (Started to stiffen up about a year later)

EP3 Civic Type R
I like it on my Cup. Not too stiff, but feels firm, unlike newer cars that don't feel quite right somehow, nice, short, biting point.... if you drive the car a bit you should be used to it by now lol. I've never not been able to get used to a clutch!! Just keep driving mate and it will come naturally to you

renault clio 172
Hi guys I got a rs clio 172 phase I Y reg and I think I may need to change my clutch in a couple of months time all qoutes I have been getting so far are silly.Nationwide told me £950 to fit it and lets not talk about my renault dealer.I live in West London any ideas?Cheers

Mental 172 Cup
my clutch pedal is firm on the 182! but am used to it now!

got back into my old car to drive it and nearly put my foot through the floor where it was so light! and i had no clue where the bite was! ha!

172 ph1
is cars like the dc5,scooby,evo etc not got heavy clutchs i just thought all performance cars were like that?
definitely not all performance cars

my Z4 3.0i has a very light clutch and I can feel the biting point just fine, makes driving a lot easier and I never stall in that car

DCi
I went from a corsa 12v to a 182 and I thought the clutches were pretty similar except the clios bite was higher.

My dad has a kit car with a Pinto engine and box and that is a heavy clutch!! I've never put my foot on anything like it.

182 Cup
their a thought it was just mine that was stiff. thank god for that. ye get used to it. going from that to my mates focus st3 was a nightmare. i stalled it all the time :S

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Every Clio I've ever drove has had pretty much the same biting point and very stiff clutch, got used to it in a day. You get used to it. The trouble starts when your in stop/start traffic jams for 6hours or so. That is not nice :p

Clio 197
Like other have said the clutches are notoriously stiff, I never got used to it.

Caused all sorts of foot problems with me, in the end I sold it and got an old run about, test drove a 197 and it was totally different, nice and light and very easy to drive.

clio sport 172
Ya could try changing the clutch cable that can make a
difference. But as everyone else has said they are quite
heavy but you do get used to it. I find my 32 ton 8 wheel
tipper with a 16 speed box easier to drive in traffic though.;)

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Ya could try changing the clutch cable that can make a
difference. But as everyone else has said they are quite
heavy but you do get used to it. I find my 32 ton 8 wheel
tipper with a 16 speed box easier to drive in traffic though.;)

Can I have a go :p I only live over in Shiremoor haha, sounds fun!

White clique
As everyone else is saying really.. stiffy's all round!!

I had a 172 and that had a heavy cutch, 182 was a bit lighter, then my 197 seemed lighter still..... until i made use of a VW Fox courtesy car today whilst my alloy was refurbed - i got back into the 197, and the clutch pedal stupidly heavy.

LY 200
I love the weight of the clutch :D

but my mums cars have all had light clutches which are weird after driving mine!

172 CUP, Old skool Mini
Same, have a very stiff and high biting clutch. Now that im used to it i love it, still stall it after ive been driving something else for a few days tho :)

BMW M5 & E36
I thought my 182 was stiff coming from a 1.4 Clio, now it's fine. My Valver clutch is way heavier and much shorter travel, stalled that when I first jumped in :clown:

BMW M135i
All clio clutches are on the heavy side barring the mk2 dci100 and the mk3, your leg gets used to it after a while.