ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch fitting..alignment tool doesn't fit in flywheel +do you need to lock it off?

Stealth 438'd 182
Fitting a new clutch..

never done it before so using various guides and threads to work through it..

So far successfully removed the subframe and dropped the gearbox out so its not going too badly so far..

I could just do with a few pointers here and there for support !

when fitting new clutch i have cleaned the friction surfaces down

attempted to use the alignment tool and it hasn't wanted to fit in.. which meant that when i offered the pressure plate up and bolted it up it could still move about...this didnt seem right.. ive lined it up by eye as well by moving the tool about before bolting it up.. i am guessing im going to need to buy a tool.. is the laser one halfords sell suitable..?

which brings me to my next question..

when bolting the pressure plate up I have turned the flywheel.. does this matter or should it of been locked off..

Re: Clutch fitting..alignment tool doesn't fit in flywheel +do you need to lock it of

Fitting a new clutch..

never done it before so using various guides and threads to work through it..

So far successfully removed the subframe and dropped the gearbox out so its not going too badly so far..

I could just do with a few pointers here and there for support !

when fitting new clutch i have cleaned the friction surfaces down

attempted to use the alignment tool and it hasn't wanted to fit in.. which meant that when i offered the pressure plate up and bolted it up it could still move about...this didnt seem right.. ive lined it up by eye as well by moving the tool about before bolting it up.. i am guessing im going to need to buy a tool.. is the laser one halfords sell suitable..?

which brings me to my next question..

when bolting the pressure plate up I have turned the flywheel.. does this matter or should it of been locked off..

I lined mine up using a screwdriver and my eye...

Trophy Turbo :)
Re: Clutch fitting..alignment tool doesn't fit in flywheel +do you need to lock it of

I use a Draper alighment tool, it looks crap but works well, the friction plate shouldnt move about, you need to ensure its aligned and does not move.

Tighten the 11mm bolts corner to corner if that makes scene,when you torque them, use a ply bar etc to hold the fly wheel :)

The tool i have linked, you place the clutch on the pressure plate and use this tool to lock them together so they cant move, bolt to the car and torque up and them remove tool :)

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.as...oductlisting&gclid=CMW0lMKHhrICFc93fAodoj8AzA

Stealth 438'd 182

moving the flywheel doesn't matter, the alingment tool is there as a guide, once the pressure plate is bolted up the alingment tool should fit in and spin easily and also "look" straight, i normally check them by eye after

Fred at BTMs input on my other thread for anyone using the search function and finding this !

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

not sure how you could use an alignment tool on an F4R as there isn't anything for it to locate into on the crank. Some kits come with an insert you knock into the crank for an aligment tool. I normally line them up by eye.

Stealth 438'd 182

not sure how you could use an alignment tool on an F4R as there isn't anything for it to locate into on the crank. Some kits come with an insert you knock into the crank for an aligment tool. I normally line them up by eye.

think this was the problem haha! after watching loads of videos of people smugly using an alignment tool on other cars its needless to say i was a little suprised when it wouldnt locate properly!

Stealth 438'd 182
This is how mine looks at the moment...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346012823.378166.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346012823.378166.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

3/8 drive extension and use your eyes is what I do.

HBT 172 Cup

1/2" Extension bar with a heap of tape wrapped around it is what i used. Bit hit and miss but better than nothing.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

1/2" Extension bar with a heap of tape wrapped around it is what i used. Bit hit and miss but better than nothing.

This...

It just works!

330i. E30 Touring.

Valeo kits come with a tool and a bit you tap into the flywheel.

TBH, as long as it's roughly in the middle, it'll be reet.

HBT 172 Cup

Haha its a pain in the arse, the amount of times i've stood there shaking the gearbox shouting "get on there you fucker!!" then it just won't go on and you know you have to do it all again :(

330i. E30 Touring.

LOL. We've all been there.

On the flip side though, you get some that just pop on and line up straight away! <3 those ones.

Stealth 438'd 182

wheeeeyyyyyyy!!!!

looked at changing the clutch cable today... thought to myself.. ''f**k that'' and put it back in the garage