ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clunking when pulling away

Audi A6 Avant S-Line
Hi all

I noticed a clunking everytime I lifted the clutch up and engaged it again whilst waiting in the FCS queue, also my car sometimes pops itself out of 4th gear. Its been doing the latter for quite a while now but only just started to notice the clunking.
I've replaced the dogbone mount and the upper gearbox mount.
I took it to the local garage today and he said he can't see anything wrong with the engine mount but might be a problem with the gearbox or gear linkages.
Getting it put on the ramps tomorrow after work but does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Daryl
03 plate with 46000 on the clock

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
mine clunks on engine break, stopping and pulling away. Can't find what the hell it is

Audi A6 Avant S-Line
Will hopefully be able to narrow it down when it gets put on the ramps tomorrow

Audi A6 Avant S-Line
Went to garage after work,
ball joints are fine
dogbone mounts fine
engine mount fine
everything else fine
so with the money i've been saving up incase it was a big job means I can get my bumper mouldings colour coded :)

Audi A6 Avant S-Line
wanting an intercooler & decat before I get a remap. Looking at getting a little inheritance soonish so will get the I/c & remap with that.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I have a "clunk" thread also, I've narrowed mine down to balljoint I think, I'm changing the offending item tmrw so I'll report back :)

After looking closley at mine it seems my driver side balljoint is the culprit. Only 3 mnths old

Civic Type S GT
My clunking noise was both ball joints being loose. Mainly passengers side. They had no washers on either so got that sorted straight away, easy job and now there nice n tight with no clunking at all.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ball joint (I believe, I'm no mechanic and tmrw will be my first time messing with it) is part of the steering/lower arm assembly.

The way to tell if its gone, is to jack the wheel up, grab the wheel at "quater to three", and try to rock it back and forth, if there is play, its possibly gone.

Personally, mine gives a single "clunk" as a brake, and with it, the steering wheel jerks a tinty bit, and after a few weeks of it doing this, it now does it when pulling away sometimes too.

Its not so much when braking hard, just braking quite softly, then as I come to a stop, "clunk".

I'll take pics tmrw for you both, and hopefully be able to explain more.

Clio 182 arctic
can i just ask a question regarding 'play' around the steering area. what is acceptable play in the wheel. as in when i jack up the wheel and shake one side then the other side a ew times. i can feel it move slightly when i have my hands at 9oclock and 3 oclock. cheers

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Do you get any knocking at all mate? If not then there's probably no issue, but if there is quite a bit of play I'd suggest getting it looked at.

But again, I'm no mechanic.