ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clunking noise when steering stationary?? help

clio 1.4 16v 02
Just got my clio taxed n insured today.. whilst parking the steering makes a pretty loud clunk (1 clunk when right hand down to nearly full lock and 1 clunk when left hand down to nearly full lock,), I can feel it through the steering wheel. Any ideas whats happening? does the steering column have bushes that might need changing? or could the steering rack be the culprit?

Last edited:
  sport 172
it could be them or could be ur front springs moving.mine did and it was coming out the top hat and that was the noise.could be many things mate

clio 1.4 16v 02
it could be them or could be ur front springs moving.mine did and it was coming out the top hat and that was the noise.could be many things mate

thanks mate,, could well be the springs the clio is pretty low

4e9720c1c3e44_1.jpg

markfishy

ClioSport Trader
  So many but not mine
Hello ,This is normally the steering rack to subframe bushes/mounts sligtely loose.
Four bolts from the rear, two on each side. 16 mm head bolts . Access is poor unless on ramp.
best regards mark fish

markfishy

ClioSport Trader
  So many but not mine
Hello Just read your symptoms again, Yes could be springs shifting in strut platforms.
This will give a heavy dong noise . rack movement is more subtle.
Lift bonnet get friend to move steering, touch suspension top mount as turning you will 'feel' noise.
mark

clio 1.4 16v 02
Hello Just read your symptoms again, Yes could be springs shifting in strut platforms.
This will give a heavy dong noise . rack movement is more subtle.
Lift bonnet get friend to move steering, touch suspension top mount as turning you will 'feel' noise.
mark

Thanks mate.. the clunk is pretty aggressive so I am thinking it must be the suspension.. Ill do what you advised and get a friend to turn the steering and check feel the top mounts..

Thanks again mate :)

markfishy

ClioSport Trader
  So many but not mine
If these are the culprits is there a way to fix it? Just tighten the top mounts?

It is unlikely a loose top mount would cause it.
Could be a broken spring which can be really serious mainly because the spring can move and spear off into the tyre side wall.
Lowered springs quite often twang as they shift on full lock, due to different shape to oe spring, and is not normally aproblem if they stay located in the platforms.
could be a damaged spring platform location area.
It is normally the poor design of the oe top mount which doesnt swivel freely, and tilts as full lock approaches and binds to the inner wing strut top, try spray grease under the top mount cap/nut assembly.
Could be a seized stiff top bearing,strut will need to be stripped down to check.
hope this helps some more.

did you get this sorted mate?? just as mines started doing the exact same thing to right lock its a loud bang asthough some 1 is hitting 2 hammer heads 2gether

"Navy" N17 TWO
Hello ,This is normally the steering rack to subframe bushes/mounts sligtely loose.
Four bolts from the rear, two on each side. 16 mm head bolts . Access is poor unless on ramp.
best regards mark fish

Mine is doing this after todays inspection
Are these bushes easily replaced?

"Navy" N17 TWO
I gave Renault a call and asked about the bushes for the rack. Looked up the part for my chassi & SMI rack etc.

There are no bushes for my rack :S

What the hell is making this noise? :banghead: