ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clunk when dry steering

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I had this.
After changing wishbones, Track rod ends and Ball joints it stopped.

Now and again i do notice it though.

The best bet is to get the car on stands.
Then have someone hold the steering wheel or clamp it.

Then get under the car and try to move the wheels and watch all the steering bits.

I've had both ball joints and TRE replaced over time I've owned it.

Never thought it would be a wishbone, I can feel the clunk through the steering wheel.

Remember @AlexW saying it is a high possibility to be the tie rods because of the bearing/joint mine flap all over the show.

182 BG
Had this after changing a wishbone. Greased up the wishbone ARB bush and it went away.

Best way to describe the noise I've heard is 'flicking an empty biscuit tin' - sound about right?

That's an accurate description of the noise aye! All this talk of wishbone is worrying me as all along I was thinking tie rods or some steering column joint.

Just don't wanna go buying 2 wishbones to then buy 2 inner tie rods then finally realise it's my column - I'd be fitting it all myself so labour isn't an issue.

182 BG
Check for play in the tie roads, then checking for play in the wishbones and the condition of the bushes? Mine didn't make the noise until I changed the wishbone and disturbed the bush!

Saw a thread 100% the same as this a while back, turned out the guy had a broken front spring (was moving as he was turning!) Jack her up and get both front wheels of the floor, and start pulling at stuff to see if it moves! Check the springs though! (I drove around on a broken spring for ages because it was sneaky and broke exactly behind the shock!)

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
I have this problem
Got the car on the ramp and a friend turned the steering wheel and we could see some play in the wishbone bushes (car is on coilovers so its just worn) although the noise is was isolated to the end of the steering column to where it meets the rack or whatever you call it. We couldn't visually without picking away at it see what the problem was.
Thats as far as I have taken it although it has stopped recently.
After taking it on the ramp and turning the steering several times left and right it just kind of stopped added to that I did a wheel spin and it also made my steering feel lighter. My steerings been really heavy since I got the car (2 years ago) and only now it feels like I have power steering.

Check for play in the tie roads, then checking for play in the wishbones and the condition of the bushes? Mine didn't make the noise until I changed the wishbone and disturbed the bush!

Saw a thread 100% the same as this a while back, turned out the guy had a broken front spring (was moving as he was turning!) Jack her up and get both front wheels of the floor, and start pulling at stuff to see if it moves! Check the springs though! (I drove around on a broken spring for ages because it was sneaky and broke exactly behind the shock!)

I'm running coilovers at the front so no issues with that as even before they were fitted the noise was still apparent. I've had it off the floor put just can't put enough force through to whatever makes the noise.

I have this problem
Got the car on the ramp and a friend turned the steering wheel and we could see some play in the wishbone bushes (car is on coilovers so its just worn) although the noise is was isolated to the end of the steering column to where it meets the rack or whatever you call it. We couldn't visually without picking away at it see what the problem was.
Thats as far as I have taken it although it has stopped recently.
After taking it on the ramp and turning the steering several times left and right it just kind of stopped added to that I did a wheel spin and it also made my steering feel lighter. My steerings been really heavy since I got the car (2 years ago) and only now it feels like I have power steering.

We could be in the same boat but don't wanna jump to conclusions although replacing loads of parts gives a good end result, I want to find the issue(s) first :)
My steering feel is completely fine - just clunky haha. I'll have a look at wishbone bushes either that or a new wishbone, anyone had any gripes with Lemforder wishbones with non sports? I have used their ball joints and TRE wondering if there is any difficulty getting the right spec.

Cheers for the input guys

I had replaced them but they weren't good quality and they perished, I may have over tightened the but squishing the bush too much. Too bad there's no poly urethane substitute for non sports [emoji20]

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Steering rack is the problem dude at least for me anyway. Mate had exactly the same symptoms and had his rack replaced and his car his fine going to be having mine done in a couple of weeks!