ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cloth seats?

clio 172
Hi everyone, iv just recently purchased a 2002 clio 172 to add to my weekend toys and could not be happier. Brilliant cars. Just a quick question as I'm still learning the ins and outs of the clio sport world, my car has cloth sports seats? Didn't they only come in the cup or did they do a few in standard 172's? I assume they've been put in by a previous owner but just thought Id double check. Also could I tell if It has cup suspension just by looking? It's a very firm ride but standard ride height and the man I bought it from seems to think it may have had some cup upgrade which would explain the seats!
Thanks very much in advance
Michael

The "Cup" version of the car had cloth seats as standard as they are lighter than the half leather ones. They came in non sports too. Is yours a cup car? Should say on the side of the car if the badges haven't been removed.

clio 172
Thanks for the reply, no it's definatly not a cup but it may have had a few things added to it. Iv only had it 2 days so will get it on the ramp at work Saturday and have a good look around. I'll get some pics of it up aswell for you guys to shed some light.

PH2 RS172
might have had the interior swapped from a 172 cup (usually as a luxury upgrade for the cup). ive seen loads of 172 cups with the half leather fitted. kinda defeats the point of it being a 172 cup though if youre going to add heavier non cup parts to it lol. mine will be most definitely keeping the cloth interior and bench ;-)

clio 172
might have had the interior swapped from a 172 cup (usually as a luxury upgrade for the cup). ive seen loads of 172 cups with the half leather fitted. kinda defeats the point of it being a 172 cup though if youre going to add heavier non cup parts to it lol. mine will be most definitely keeping the clothi nterior and bench ;-)
Haha yea I agree, the cloth interior was designed to be light weight so why change if you own a cup? I wouldn't swap mine for the half leathers even thou they do look very nice

PH2 RS172
@Knuckles
they were a standard weight saving part of the cups design, pov spec seats over a heavier padded leather spec seat. its a tiny weight save, but each little bit helps and like i said, if youve got a cup you dont want to add weight especially for a luxury mod really or it defeats the point

i have a regular 172 and a 172 cup and the seats make jack all difference in the comfort department, theyre still fitted inside a dangerously fast tin can x-)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I know the theory behind it but I was wondering if anyone was sad enough to actually weigh them both back to back lol.

I'm sure the mk2 clios all use the same seat (bar the trendlines), just trimmed in different materials

I know the theory behind it but I was wondering if anyone was sad enough to actually weigh them both back to back lol.

Probably just Renault. Though they have a non-sad interest in the answer.

Also, let's not forget the 172 cup was really cheap. Seats from the mass produced Dynamique, off-the-shelf wheels, no expensive low-volume xenons etc

I think he meant they weren't a manufacturer car specific designed wheel, anyone could buy them from speedline for any car (pretty much).

This.

For the standard wheels Renault had to pay for R&D, simulation, physical testing, production tooling/fixtures and then hardly made any at all (in the scheme of things, a few thousand 172s x 5 wheels vs tens of thousands of sets of 15" dynamique wheels etc).

With the Speedlines, they probably paid minimal overheads for R&D and then did limited durability testing to support all the simulation/testing/R&D that Speedline would have already done. Very cheap way to add an extra wheel design to a vehicle line up.

Hi everyone, iv just recently purchased a 2002 clio 172 to add to my weekend toys and could not be happier.

Michael

What colour is the car btw? 172 Cups only came in Mondial Blue (light metallic) and silver. Non cups came in flame red, monaco blue, silver & pearl black.

Last edited:
  clio 172
This.

For the standard wheels Renault had to pay for R&D, simulation, physical testing, production tooling/fixtures and then hardly made any at all (in the scheme of things, a few thousand 172s x 5 wheels vs tens of thousands of sets of 15" dynamique wheels etc).

With the Speedlines, they probably paid minimal overheads for R&D and then did limited durability testing to support all the simulation/testing/R&D that Speedline would have already done. Very cheap way to add an extra wheel design to a vehicle line up.

What colour is the car btw? 172 Cups only came in Mondial Blue (light metallic) and silver. Non cups came in flame red, monaco blue, silver & pearl black.
its black pearl, iv just uploaded some pics in my last thread i just posted about a strange engine mod iv just discovered!

Just seen your other thread whilst you were posting that ^^^

Checked it doesn't have aftermarket springs? Eibach sportlines (?) are supposed to be OEM ride height but offer a firmer ride. Or maybe it's just firmer than you'd anticipated?

clio 172
Just seen your other thread whilst you were posting that ^^^

Checked it doesn't have aftermarket springs? Eibach sportlines (?) are supposed to be OEM ride height but offer a firmer ride. Or maybe it's just firmer than you'd anticipated?
The trouble is i havnt driven or been a passenger in a clio sport till i bought this one. I also own a phase 1 205 gti 1.6 and that handles like a go cart and the clio really isnt too far off. I think your right i really didnt think it was going to impress me as much as it has, and i also got it ridiculously cheap which makes it even more impesive. Im a car sprayer by trade doing classic restorations and also buy and sell cars from work and honestly believe there isnt a cheaper car on the current market that performs like a clio sport. its got to be the best value car you can buy today performance wise. As you can tell im fully hooked!