ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Close to buying a 172

172 Cup
Hello all.

Another potential new owner here just looking for a few pearls of wisdom from the guys in the know. I am looking for a new toy (second car) and have settled on a Renaultsport Clio (172). The one I am tempted by is a 2003 car in Silver, 50k miles, FSH, 1 owner, extremely tidy from a large dealer (meaning a 6 month main waranty), full MOT etc etc.

Good documemhted history with new tyres and the cambelt etc done 2 yrs ago @ 38k.

The car does look very good but I am 50/50 whether it is a tad overpriced @ ~ £3.5k. Looking at PH / Auto Trader etc, there are similar cars cheaper, but I can't vouch for their condition etc without seeing them (but as I said, the one I am looking at is borderline immaculate).

Any comments - things I should look out for? Your sage-like wisdom will be much appreciated :D

Clio 172
Hello all.

Another potential new owner here just looking for a few pearls of wisdom from the guys in the know. I am looking for a new toy (second car) and have settled on a Renaultsport Clio (172). The one I am tempted by is a 2003 car in Silver, 50k miles, FSH, 1 owner, extremely tidy from a large dealer (meaning a 6 month main waranty), full MOT etc etc.

Good documemhted history with new tyres and the cambelt etc done 2 yrs ago @ 38k.

The car does look very good but I am 50/50 whether it is a tad overpriced @ ~ £3.5k. Looking at PH / Auto Trader etc, there are similar cars cheaper, but I can't vouch for their condition etc without seeing them (but as I said, the one I am looking at is borderline immaculate).

Any comments - things I should look out for? Your sage-like wisdom will be much appreciated :D

Hi mate.

I'm new here too and definitely not 'in the know'. However I've just bought a 2003 silver 172 which is also extremely tidy, and although mine has double the mileage, sounds very similar to yours.

So yeah I reckon thats way overpriced buddy. Give Auto Trader a try mate, some really smart 172's, 182's and cup versions going for much less too. Many from traders which offer MOT, tax and warranty too.

Edit---I paid £1470 for mine btw.

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I posted something, and was wrong, so edited the post.

2013 Toyota GT86
If it helps, nearly three months ago I bought a 2003 Iceberg Silver 172 for £2300 with 54K on the clock. I had to get the belts done mind and a couple of tyres.

I'd say (I might be wrong) you don't want to be paying more than £2700 for that.

172 Cup
Thanks for the replies - It looks like my suspicions are confirmed regarding pricing. A haggling I will go or looking elsewhere. Cheers guys!