ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Close GearBox

Hi,

Next week is the time when my 172 becomes a engine tuning. I was thinking to replace the orginal gearbox with short one - close gearbox. I can get it for 612 EUR.
Can some one tell me if it worth of doing that change or not?
Will I become better acceleration or not and how much will I lose in high speed?

THANKS

DEJAN

Your acceleration will be better, I dont think you will lose your top speed either. Well it depends on how short the gearing is

Chun.

hmmm.....600 odd euros for a close ratio gearbox!
i very much doubt it, maybe its more of a short shift kit. Anyway, it all depends on what ratios you use. On my clio cup car, i had a very tall 1st gear meaning i could reach 60MPH in 1st. But 2nd,3rd,4th &5th were so short that i had to chang between them all the time. But thats the whole point of a close ratio box. Your never expecting to go less than 50MPH on a track so this is in 1st gear at high RPM. And the rest of the gears are kept inbetween 5000-7000 rpm...but you usually never go below 5500 rpm. Anyway, your 0-60 time will be slower if u use a tall first gear, but acceleration through the gears will be better..get me?
If you choose to use a short forst gear to improve acceleration, then you will loose top speed as your using shorter gears. I would personally get a shorter geared box overall, reducing top speed but increasing acceleration, unless you plan to use it on the track....then just by the clio cup sequential box which is the dog b****cks!!

no idea on cost, but will be hell of alot, best bet is caling up the cliocup teams and seeing if they have any old ones you could buy.
And yup its 6 speed.