ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio RS250ish

M135i, 197 turbo
It lives. Again. Only briefly though, won't idle. Checked compression and 165psi across all 4. Two nice looking spark plugs, 2 fouled. Assume coil packs so see if I can get some new ones tomorrow.

IMG_0510.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 112
  M135i, 197 turbo
I hope this isn't offensive bud, but I love how rough this thing looks lol

Just no messing around, straight in there and get the job done approach!

No offense at all mate! I know it's rough around the edges, and I love how it looks. Bonnet does need respraying, well re-rattle canning, as had to sand it down where I bonded the vents in.

M135i, 197 turbo
Changed all 4 coils for new, ran for all of 10 seconds before dying. Checked plugs and got spark on all 4, pulled the fuel rail out and all 4 injectors firing, rechecked the timing and all okay, compression as above 160psi plus across all 4. Won't idle, sounds like shite. Happily set fire to the sodding thing :rage:
Got it going again after changing the injectors for spares, and it ran at 2000 rpm, any mopre throttle it died and wouldn't restart.
Errors showing are below
errors.JPG

All the above is expected apart from vehicle speedo sensor A - anyone know what this is? hoping it's the crank sensor (or wiring) for an easy fix. Can't be arsed changing the engine again if I've been sold a knackered one. Seriously considering breaking this thing and getting a lotus 220 turbo

M135i, 197 turbo
I wouldn't be whacking the throttle down until it's all running nicely pal... don't want another engine!
I know. Going to clean the throttle body and check intake system for leaks, and chuck a new crank sensor on as well. Other than that not sure what else I can do to sort the idle. Just sent a message to the bloke I bought it off as he claims it ran well, worse case is I'll go down the paypal route to try and get some cash back if the horrific noise from the top end doesn't go away as still assuming it's a stuck lifter.

M135i, 197 turbo
How's it going ?
More slow progress as work is very busy. Cleaned the throttle body, changed the coils, checked for leaks, and seem to have a better idle.

Noisy inside as the engine is solid mounted at the bottom and everything vibrates inside the car. You can here the racket the head is making at the end, though this has now quietened down a lot.

Been getting on with wiring the switch panel today. Didn't like the switches I'd fitted so bought a cheapo switch panel and fitted that

IMG_0523.JPG

Last things to do are run some wires through the the bulk head for the fan override, washer jets, shift light and kill switch to cut the ignition. Mappings in a couple of weeks time at RS tuning so hopefully get it out on the road next weekend :up:

That sounds reminds me of the wifes Megane 225 after a garage put cheap oil in. Used to do it on start up on cold mornings until you turned it off and restarted it!

Decent oil back in sorted it, but so difficult to tell on a video. Shame you couldn't see it running before hand or something :(

New facelift dials too! Be good to have a video of it going if you get there pal

M135i, 197 turbo
Definitely not cheap oil, like I said it's quietened down a fair bit so see how we go. Blokes not responded to the Paypal case so see how we get on when the time runs out on it.

I'll get some videos of it moving once I've finished the wiring next weekend all being well.

M135i, 197 turbo
Unsurprisingly Henk's customer service is crap. RS Tuning booked in for next Thursday. Pretty much finished now, just not comfortable that all is well with the engine :fearful:
Time to move all the tools out of the way and get it out of the garage :up:

M135i, 197 turbo
Unsurprisingly Henk's customer service is crap. RS Tuning booked in for next Thursday. Pretty much finished now, just not comfortable that all is well with the engine :fearful:
Time to move all the tools out of the way and get it out of the garage :up:

Still misfiring under load... this is getting annoying. So far we have a replacement 85k engine with good compression across all 4, timing is correct, new plugs, new coils, new TDC sensor and wiring, plus clean throttle body. Remaining suspects are failing fuel pump that can't supply enough under load, or injectors, or indeed damaged ECU. Just ordered an uprated pump from Engine Dynamics as I wanted one anyway, also going to check the resistance of the injectors to see if any stand out. Last will be getting the ECU checked.

Spoken with RS tuning this morning to move mapping back 3 weeks to give me time to get to the bottom of this, failing that they will investigate when I take it.

BG Clio 182
Still misfiring under load... this is getting annoying. So far we have a replacement 85k engine with good compression across all 4, timing is correct, new plugs, new coils, new TDC sensor and wiring, plus clean throttle body. Remaining suspects are failing fuel pump that can't supply enough under load, or injectors, or indeed damaged ECU. Just ordered an uprated pump from Engine Dynamics as I wanted one anyway, also going to check the resistance of the injectors to see if any stand out. Last will be getting the ECU checked.

Spoken with RS tuning this morning to move mapping back 3 weeks to give me time to get to the bottom of this, failing that they will investigate when I take it.
Rs tuning would find it pretty quick! I bet it's to do with the ecu

Get injectors swapped asap mate, my first point of call with my old 182 when it was misfiring.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

M135i, 197 turbo
Get injectors swapped asap mate, my first point of call with my old 182 when it was misfiring.

Yep going to, wanted to try just the pump first as that's £85ish vs £200 for the injectors and I wanted to uprate it anyway

M135i, 197 turbo
Woooo, what sorted it mate?
New higher flow fuel pump from engine dynamics. Also found a load of crap in the bottom of the fuel sender so cleaned that out. It's not perfect but it's 100% better and capable of driving. Going to send the ecu off for checking this week before we go for mapping.

Got it out of the garage and cleaned off 2 months worth of dust and grime. Couple of bits left to do but nothing major. Going get some pics and vids hopefully in the next week

New higher flow fuel pump from engine dynamics. Also found a load of crap in the bottom of the fuel sender so cleaned that out. It's not perfect but it's 100% better and capable of driving. Going to send the ecu off for checking this week before we go for mapping.

Got it out of the garage and cleaned off 2 months worth of dust and grime. Couple of bits left to do but nothing major. Going get some pics and vids hopefully in the next week
Good to hear mate, fuel pump was giving up then!

Now it should be a bit more capable and reliable.

Whens mapping?

M135i, 197 turbo
Good to hear mate, fuel pump was giving up then!

Now it should be a bit more capable and reliable.

Whens mapping?

13th, going to plump for some 630cc injectors at the same time. Should make a little more power and more torque, plus running at lower duty cycle

M135i, 197 turbo
Sent the ECU off for checking today, 3 day turn around, for piece of mind.

Shift light (DRE one I used on the old engine) doesn't like the Megane ignition so got an MSD signal pickup on order which should sort it. Also can't get the speedo to work despite having left the ABS ecu and front sensors in. So they've been binned and ordered GPS speedo from Tweeks.

Going to fit it in place of the normal speedo and also wanted to get rid of all the warning lights so pulled the cluster apart to remove the LEDs. Need the speedo to turn up to modify the right hand dial.
IMG_0534.JPG

M135i, 197 turbo
What did it make?

I fecking hate this car....

It made reasonable torque, and sod all power. It's running ridiculously rich, resulting in knock so the ECU is pulling ignition and boost. They / we checked it over and there's nothing obviously wrong with it, Paul only suggestion was timing but it was correct when the engine went in but conceivable that it had slipped.

Got it home and checked it, pinned the crank and cams still line up so it hasn't moved. Checked TDC with a screwdriver down the bore and the crank is in the correct place. Only thing I can see it there's some damage to the end of the intake cam where you insert the horseshoe that allows for a little play in the timing of the intake cam.... so if that's causing it I've been sold a slightly stuffed used engine.

So I don't know what to do. Options are breaking it and cutting my losses, find another engine and take a chance on that being what the seller claims it is, or buy an entire cheap running megane that I can see is okay, and I don't like any of the ideas.

Petrol and some matches are on the Christmas list....

Clio 182
I tune a lot of cars, a mechanically happy engine will not knock when running rich unless you've got an injector being held open and near hydrolocking the cylinder. If it's able to fire the mixture then it's not knocking due to being rich. It's worth checking you've got the fuel lines on the right way around though, dependant on how it's plumbed and what regulator you've got you COULD be running huge fuel pressure currently.

It could have a blocked cat/exhaust system, but I'd hope Paul would see those signs especially on a turbocharged car.

If it's not that then my guess is that the camshaft timing is overly advanced, this would cause cylinder pressures to be higher than normal. You'd have a really steady idle, great low down torque but it would run out of power up top. I see it all the time on various engines, I've got 2 booked in January to have their cams correctly dialled in... both with "professionally built" engines.

Do a compression check, but I'd seriously consider pulling the cams out and fitting a set from your old engine - you know then that there's nothing wrong and it gives you a chance to check the inside of the head for any issues too. If it's not fixed by that then it's got to be related to the engine control, but again Paul should see those signs.

M135i, 197 turbo
I tune a lot of cars, a mechanically happy engine will not knock when running rich unless you've got an injector being held open and near hydrolocking the cylinder. If it's able to fire the mixture then it's not knocking due to being rich. It's worth checking you've got the fuel lines on the right way around though, dependant on how it's plumbed and what regulator you've got you COULD be running huge fuel pressure currently.

It could have a blocked cat/exhaust system, but I'd hope Paul would see those signs especially on a turbocharged car.

If it's not that then my guess is that the camshaft timing is overly advanced, this would cause cylinder pressures to be higher than normal. You'd have a really steady idle, great low down torque but it would run out of power up top. I see it all the time on various engines, I've got 2 booked in January to have their cams correctly dialled in... both with "professionally built" engines.

Do a compression check, but I'd seriously consider pulling the cams out and fitting a set from your old engine - you know then that there's nothing wrong and it gives you a chance to check the inside of the head for any issues too. If it's not fixed by that then it's got to be related to the engine control, but again Paul should see those signs.

Appreciate your comments, have an uprated pump with the standard regulator and fuel rail, no option of plumbing it incorrectly. I was wondering if the regulator was at fault, Paul did mention there was a chance it was the injectors but he was convinced it was timing and having checked it yesterday it all lines up only issue being the small of play allowed in the intake cam due to the damage at the end.

Having had another look last night the head has been opened in the past as there's sealant around the upper cover, Paul's other suggestion was that someone could have put the cams in the wrong way round if the head had been opened (which it clearly has).

Compressions good - high and equal across all 4. ECU was tested, that's good. Paul's read the map and it's standard Renault so that's fine. Coils and plugs are new as well. So I've got three options - mechanically unhappy engine, cams in wrong way round possibly? injectors? or fuel pressure regulator.

I've got another spare engine so I'm going to swap it over for the sake of a few hours. Then that leaves injectors or regulator.

M135i, 197 turbo
Don't give up!
Don't want to. Feels bloody quick on part throttle with all the torque and its running like crap. If I get this fixed and running stage 2 map it'll be mental.

Mates coming round tonight so hopefully have the engine changed over and if it's still running like shite then it has to be injector or fuel pressure related.

M135i, 197 turbo
4 hours including stopping for a curry and beers and engine out, gearbox, flywheel etc transferred to replacement, need to swap turbo over then it can go back in
IMG_0543.JPG

225 powered mk2
@Matt555 Don't give up, that's the worse thing you could do, I had loads of problems when I did mine years back, but got it all sorted in the end.

Just take your time make sure you're 100% happy with the new engine and bits you are putting in.

You've done a great build so credit to you! it will be worth it in the end once you're boosting! (Y)

M135i, 197 turbo
@Matt555 Don't give up, that's the worse thing you could do, I had loads of problems when I did mine years back, but got it all sorted in the end.

Just take your time make sure you're 100% happy with the new engine and bits you are putting in.

You've done a great build so credit to you! it will be worth it in the end once you're boosting! (Y)

It'll be back in and running tonight. The guy that dropped it off took it out of his own car after it was written off for bodywork damage and it looks to be in far better condition than the other two engines despite being higher mileage. Says it ran spot on, recent belt, new throttle body as well. Plus came with injectors, coils, plugs so if this doesn't run when it's in I'll be pretty confident the issue lies elsewhere and not the engine.

I'm not giving up. It will run.

Clio 182
I had a Peugeot engine I brought with a killer spec that wouldnt start, the cams were installed the wrong way around as CatCams labelled a batch wrong.... lesson is that if they put the cams in wrong it won't start.

M135i, 197 turbo
Righto. It's a sodding miracle, engine number 3 idles properly and seems to drive okay too....
Going to ring RS Tuning tomorrow and get booked back in.
Few other things to sort - need a new gear linkage cable as 1 is currently held in place on the gearbox with cable ties and araldite where the plastic collar has broken off. Rear passenger wheel is rubbing on the arch so need to roll the lip. All suspension needs raising 10mm ish and exhaust needs shortening by 50mm. Oh yeah, and oil change on engine number 3 :up:

Righto. It's a sodding miracle, engine number 3 idles properly and seems to drive okay too....
Going to ring RS Tuning tomorrow and get booked back in.
Few other things to sort - need a new gear linkage cable as 1 is currently held in place on the gearbox with cable ties and araldite where the plastic collar has broken off. Rear passenger wheel is rubbing on the arch so need to roll the lip. All suspension needs raising 10mm ish and exhaust needs shortening by 50mm. Oh yeah, and oil change on engine number 3 :up:
Fingers crossed for you mate!