ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Race Series Options

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I have done a search and found a few threads that lead to discussing/comparing series but no dedicated thread so here goes:
I'm looking to compete either this year or next (depending on when finances allow) and I thought I'd get some views opinions from those currently competing (if any many are on here!).
Car will almost certainly be a Clio 182 - and The 3 obvious series ive seen so far are, 750mx 182 series,TA tricolore trophy and MSV trackday trophy.

First up is the inevitable 750mc 182 series - i'm drawn to this for the longstanding reputation of the 750mc (i've followed Locosts, RGB and stock hatches for years), what appears to be the best media coverage and the 1 make/even nature. I obviously appreciate the haters of the mandatory items, but I would be buying a pre prepped car, as there's a few out there in budget so im not too concerned by this. I don't like the expensive tyres and mandatory supplier but in big scheme of things a couple of hundred quid? on tyres every few months is not the worst to deal with.

Tricolore seems good for keeping budget due to production classes (which I would aim for), but with a mixed field of both cars and classes leads me to think lapping and hierarchy may annoy me.

Trackday trophy looks good for evenness with power to weight governing class, but similar to above with regards to speed differential between classes. My other concern is regards to the novice requirement, I don't plan to share so I would be a solo with a mandatory timed pitstop, but what happens after 6 races and i'm no longer a novice - is that it? Find another home after 6 races, or best case find a mate who is a novice and then change after another 6 races? - seems silly!

Would also be good to get some fuel and tyre budgets from those currently competing as I can do all the sums I like with initial purchases and entry fees but I know the consumables (ignore mech failures and accidents) will be quite high.

Cheers all.

WRX
Last year I competed in Tricolore's production class. I am looking at moving up to Production Plus but also entering some of Classic Touring Car Racing Club's Pre05 Championship too this year. That is halfway between the two lower Tricolore Classes as it is essentially production class with coilovers allowed.
I drive to events in the car and estimate they cost around £550 all in per event. Fuel computer says roughly 15mpg on track in standard 172.
Lapped by far more expensive cars not a problem IMO

Tyres is a MASSIVE variable, I know up here they get through them on the minis and the front runners are using new ones for qualifying and stuff (I buy their used ones sometimes) so they do get through them, and faster than you'd expect.

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i am another tric trophy driver. it was my first year of racing last year and i have to say it was fantastic. a really good group of people, everyone happy to help each other out and really clean bump free racing (well almost). cant reccomend it enough.

I'm also hoping to race soon and likely to go towards tricolore. I have a friend or two interested so I may explore the MSV option too. I think you're right about requiring a novice so you'd be kicked out after your 6. But I also thought they did another level which wasn't aimed at novices and had an extra bhp/tonne category at the top end.

182, 205gti mk2 golf
750 Clio 182 championsip all the way id say...A grid of 30+ near identical cars. Tyres shouldnt be too bad this year as i think we are limited to 16 for the season.

182cup & 172 racecar
Everything has for 's and against.
Tric Trophy is not a championship, so you can pick and choose what evets you want to do.
Ad Bob said, we are a friendly bunch, and will always muck in if somebody has a problem, we'd rather see a car out racing, than left in the pits.
Getting lapped isn't a problem.
The 3 classes gives you plenty of options spec wise to.
We gave 2 races a day, so if anything goes wrong, you get a second bite of the cherry.

I did 3yrs in Tin Tops cscc, although a 40 min race might sound appealing, get a problem, then day over.
Spa will cost you a fortune, and everybody is out together and there had been some big accidents!
I'm biased and would say Tricolore Trophy, for the fun factor etc.
Any more info needed just contact me.
Tony

The way the Tric trophy is run with 2 shorter races appealed much more to me as if you get 2 chances to mess up! I would say definitely come along and give us a try, we are very friendly bunch and everyone is happy to help out if you have a problem or you need advice.

3 series estate
CSCC Tin Tops is good if you want to share the driving with a friend. I'd say Spa is well worth the cost. We went last year and despite a couple of safety cars and a faulty clutch master cylinder we still had lots of fun. The other nice thing is that you can normally do a second race (Open series this year) which puts you up against normally some Jags, BMWs Porsches etc most of which aren't as quick as you'd expect so you can have a good dice with them.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Last year I competed in Tricolore's production class. I am looking at moving up to Production Plus but also entering some of Classic Touring Car Racing Club's Pre05 Championship too this year. That is halfway between the two lower Tricolore Classes as it is essentially production class with coilovers allowed.
I drive to events in the car and estimate they cost around £550 all in per event. Fuel computer says roughly 15mpg on track in standard 172.
Lapped by far more expensive cars not a problem IMO

How have you found driving to/from events, I assume apart from tyres the car is ready to go straight out onto the track?

WRX
No problems, drive up on my wet tyres, change them if required. Fortunately Tony offered the use/services of team Burpspeed but I was managing ok before that. Just stored items in a big bag when on track. Whilst having all the extras makes it easier, it is possible to race on a very tight budget and bare necessities.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
@loggyboy What ever series you choose there'll always be a class to suit in the tricolore trophy if you want to do a one off race or whatever. However a few guys have done that and ended up staying as its so friendly and good fun. Especially coming from the 182 series as its getting a reputation as a contact sport!
If you're looking at buying a complete ready to run car give me a shout, we have a Tricolore Class F Production spec 172 Cup available to hire or buy this year or alternatively we could build a ready to race clio to your spec inc 182 750mc regs.
Russ