ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio 1.2 TCE
Hi All!

I’d like to start by apologising if this thread is posted in the incorrect section - if any moderators see this post and decide to move it, be my guest.

I have a 2010 Renault Clio 1.2 TCE Dynamique TomTom ... and it’s great. I love it. There’s only one thing I don’t like about it - the audio.

I’m sure many Mk3 owners will agree that the standard head unit is mediocre at best, and so I swiftly swapped that out for the Kenwood KMM-BT302 from the previous car I owned.

However this increased power has done more than take its toll on the existing speakers, to the point where listening anything more than a gentle acoustic song results in an all-encompassing flub every time the drummer hits the kick drum. Safe to say it’s time for a replacement set.

To add insult to injury my audiophile brother started picking the car apart on a long journey only to discover the “tweeters” set in the dash are merely imitations. Can’t say I was that suprised considering the total lack of treble in the mix...

I can’t fault Renault for seemingly putting more money into developing great engines than great stereo systems, if still love the Clio if the speakers didn’t function at all, but I have a few questions moving forwards;

1. Is the audio system (speaker sizes and wiring etc) in a prefacelift mk3 the same as a post facelift Mk3?

On face value this might seem like a dumb question but I want to make sure that I get the basics right, and there’s a staggering lack of information on post facelift mk3s and the changes that were introduced.

2. Although the existing tweeters are fake, is there wiring for them somewhere underneath the dashboard to hook up functioning tweeters?

If so, I’ll look for a pair of decent component speakers for the sides and a nice pair of tweeters. If not, I’ll be forced to opt for a coaxial sidedoor option.

I appreciate lots has been said on this forum about speakers in Clios, I did have a search around, but I couldn’t find answers to either of these questions so thought it was worth posting.

Thanks for reading.