ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT 128 (Why the hate?)

Clio GT 128
So I hear its quite a hated vehicle on here. Just wondering whats peoples opinions on them and why they are hated so much. I just picked one up as my first Clio as a more respectable daily than my previous Pug 106 Quiksilver but refused to buy a Corsa or Fiesta (For obvious reasons). So far I think its brilliant and its perfect for what I wanted it for. Obviously I would have loved a 172/182 or 200 but don't really feel like paying £2000+ for insurance 😂

But I definitely see myself getting a 172 ph1 in the future once my other 2 projects are finished and I doubt I would of if I didn't come on here.

Clio GT 128
Because literally everyone round my area that drives a fiesta and is my age is a complete mongo. They have a massive rep round here and within my friends group of being the standard car you see outside maccys with 15 year old girls hanging around them and stuff.

I'd never hear the end of it if I did and tbh because of that rep round here I have a distain for their looks. Love older fiestas tho anything older than mk5 seems to be alright.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
They’re good, the wife used to have one, lots of fun to drive, not very fast but perky enough. IIRC the pricing didn’t make a lot of sense when they were new, but used is a different story.

Personally I think they’re generally a bit underrated, although obviously they’re no RS.

Clio GT 128
derogatory comments aside. Having owned a 1.2, 1.4,1.6.. three 172 Cups, a 182 and a 200 cup. You'll understand "why" the second you get behind the wheel of an RS the difference is biblical.. anything less is pretty much a non event.

Thats fair. Guess I'll just have to wait and find out for myself :) If I hadn't got it I would never have stumbled on here and never had the interest I do now in having an actual RS Clio.

Might even be able to get one by the end of the year if I'm lucky and one comes up at the right price but insurance sucks which is why I picked this clio as I can get insured on it for a round £1000. Where as any RS model 172-200 is over £2500 which sucks.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I don't know why they didn't just push the 1.2Turbo to 120-130ps instead of using the N/A 1.6.
Everyone probably would have loved the GT with the small turbo unit.

Clio GT 128
I don't know why they didn't just push the 1.2Turbo to 120-130ps instead of using the N/A 1.6.
Everyone probably would have loved the GT with the small turbo unit.

Yea that would have been pretty easy surely. Most remaps on the 1.2 TCe push it to about 125ps maybe even just putting a slightly bigger turbo. I do like NA 1.6s my other project is a 1.6 NA 4AGE 20v Toyota Levin which is should be about 170ps

Get some pictures up, then we can address whether its a turd or not.

I will once its on the road got a few bits to do on it first. Last owner hit a high curb and fucked the bumper so need that sorted then I will :)

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I don't really know much about them to be honest. It's probably ok, but have never even sat in a non-RS MK3 Clio. I think I may struggle to choose one over an EcoBoost Fiesta though. I think the MK7 Fiesta is a great little car anyway and the EcoBoost lump seems to have plenty of room for tuning. I can't say I would let other owners of a particular type of car put me off buying one.

Clio GT 128
I don't really know much about them to be honest. It's probably ok, but have never even sat in a non-RS MK3 Clio. I think I may struggle to choose one over an EcoBoost Fiesta though. I think the MK7 Fiesta is a great little car anyway and the EcoBoost lump seems to have plenty of room for tuning. I can't say I would let other owners of a particular type of car put me off buying one.

The GT has small differences like the seats have alot more bolstering compared to a 1.2 but the rest is pretty much stock interior. I have a friend whos got a ecoboost fiesta and they drive very similar. Neither are quick but I just like the look of the clio alot more and its got abit more noise and pull to it youre higher in the rev range. Yea I probably shouldn't but its because of the amount of people I know who drive them are dicks its just set in for me to hate the look of them 😂

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Finance deals on the Fiesta were pretty decent too, so that helped shift a ton of them.
The 1 litre engine makes easy 170bhp with a few bolt on mods and a remap.

Clio GT 128
Finance deals on the Fiesta were pretty decent too, so that helped shift a ton of them.
The 1 litre engine makes easy 170bhp with a few bolt on mods and a remap.

Yea seen how cheap they were on finance. I'd rather just buy outright so I don't need to worry about that. I got the GT for £2000 and its on 69k and got full service history and 3 previous owners. Thats the annoying thing with NAs its so much harder to get gains out of where as with a small turbo. Remaps are so much more worth the money on the little turbo engines. I might have a look into remapping this with a few small mods to see how much it can go. Places advertise they can get them to about 150bhp after a remap.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
No way is that going to hit 150bhp with just a remap?

Ford offer models with a range out outputs, from 100 to 140ps, I'd bet a 140 would push to 150 with an aggressive map.

No idea if the engines are physically different between the 100-140 models though?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Ford offer models with a range out outputs, from 100 to 140ps, I'd bet a 140 would push to 150 with an aggressive map.

No idea if the engines are physically different between the 100-140 models though?

I was on about the 1.6 n/a engine in the clio GT

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
As I say thats just what people quote. I'll have to see it to believe it tbh.

Dyno/remap places love to quote big gains because thats what sells and generates them income.

Reality is there is very little power to be found on a small N/A engine, you even need to be wary of dyno printouts because it's quite simple for the operator to manipulate the readings and give an inflated figure to make the customer happy.

Yea thats the one. I've had quotes on places that say they could reach 140 - 145 with a remap and 170nm from the 155nm it has stock. With a better exhaust and an intake it could probably scrape to 150 which is what I would do if I was going to get it remapped.

The 172/182 usually makes less than 10bhp from intake, exhaust and remap.

Clio GT 128
Dyno/remap places love to quote big gains because thats what sells and generates them income.

Reality is there is very little power to be found on a small N/A engine, you even need to be wary of dyno printouts because it's quite simple for the operator to manipulate the readings and give an inflated figure to make the customer happy.

The 172/182 usually makes less than 10bhp from intake, exhaust and remap.
Yea I'd expect about 140-145 with a intake, exhaust and remap. Its funny to me how I now have 2 1.6 VVT engines. One came out the factory with ~170bhp and one came out with ~130bhp. Doubt I could find any cheap cams for it either tbh.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Its funny to me how I now have 2 1.6 VVT engines. One came out the factory with ~170bhp and one came out with ~130bhp. Doubt I could find any cheap cams for it either tbh.

Yea but look at the differences in them though.

The Renault engine is (slightly) undersquare, making peak power at 6750rpm.
The Toyota engine is oversquare, twenty valve head, high compression, high lift cams and individual throttle bodies, it makes peak power at 7800rpm :up:

Clio GT 128
Yea but look at the differences in them though.

The Renault engine is (slightly) undersquare, making peak power at 6750rpm.
The Toyota engine is oversquare, twenty valve head, high compression, high lift cams and individual throttle bodies, it makes peak power at 7800rpm :up:

Oh yea I realise the differences but ive also just had to rebuild the 4age for the second time with all new bearings, rings and a couple replacement valves in my shed for the second time since its been imported and its only on 80k miles 😂😂 Where as I doubt unless something catastrophic happens I doubt the renault engine will need a rebuild before the shell rots lol. I do wish it made closer to 150bhp though so I might be tempted to see whats out there to make that a reality.

Having only owned Clio 172/182’s I can’t comment on how the Clio 1.6 GT is to drive. I presume it’s decent enough for a 1.6

However, I do remember when my sister owned one years ago it left my 2.0 Ford Probe for dead pulling onto a motorway!

I sold the Anal Probe the following day and bought a 280bhp Impreza to make sure that didn’t happen again.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Is the Toyota an AE86 with the black top engine conversion, or do you have an AE110/AE111 model?

Clio GT 128
Is the Toyota an AE86 with the black top engine conversion, or do you have an AE110/AE111 model?

I wish it was an 86. Nah its a AE111.

Attachments

• 13537678_10154279966972552_5696070823563987182_n.jpg
    13537678_10154279966972552_5696070823563987182_n.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 89