ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Billabong Problems .....

Clio Billabong
Hello - I brought a 2nd hand Clio Billabong (Year 2003) 2 days ago which ran fine, just took my partner home and on the way back the engine management light started flashing and it felt like it was running on 3 cylinders, but it never put the car in limp mode it still could do 50 mph but just lumpy, any ideas ?

monaco 172
Could do with getting it plugged in.

Could be a number of things.

Spark plugs, coil pack, leads, injector

Clio Billabong
Just got a message from the person i brought it off, and he said it was doing the same a couple of months ago and it was a injector on number 2 .....

monaco 172
I wouldn't take his word for it mate. Get it properly diagnosed.
Also for the price of spark plugs for one of those is just replace them anyway.

PH2 172
Yeah i was going to take the spark plugs out and wire brush them, see if that help .
Do a compression check while the plugs are out.
Valve clearances are adjusted by screw & locknut on the 1.2 litre engine, but rarely get attention.

Clio Billabong
Another friend said coil pack .....

I have just took if for another drive, and it seems as it's cold it's ok, but after about 10 minutes it start being lumpy and the light flashes again .

PH2 172

I have just took if for another drive, and it seems as it's cold it's ok, but after about 10 minutes it start being lumpy and the light flashes again .

That would be consistent with the valve clearance closing as the engine heats up, and unburnt fuel washing over the Lambda sensor.

PH2 172
is that a big job ?

You need to reply in the post so we know who you asking!
Start by conducting a compression test with a hot engine.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gunson-G4101-HI-GAUGE-COMPRESSION-TESTER-/360334829307 or borrow one.
If a cylinder is low on compression, then proceed to checking the clearances.
If all 4 compressions are the same, look elsewhere for your problem.

Valve clearance check/adjustment is a regular service requirement that often gets neglected.
Takes about an hour with the aid of a Haynes manual.

monaco 172
Not sure, never had to do it but it will take a bit of thinking about as you will need to know the position of the pistons as you adjust.

A competent mechanic should be able to do it but to be honest until you get it diagnosed properly your pissing in the wind.

Clio Billabong
Update Number 1 - This morning i replaced the coil pack which had HT leads already fitted and new NGK spark plugs and yes it's still doing it, so it could be injector number 2 or the valves now ...

Clio Billabong
I've got a friend coming round Wednesday to have a look at it, he has all the tools so should be able to find the problem, just been out for a quick drive again, and although the engine light sops on i ran with no issues, i seems as when it get hot it starts to play up ....

PH2 172
I've got a friend coming round Wednesday to have a look at it, he has all the tools so should be able to find the problem, just been out for a quick drive again, and although the engine light sops on i ran with no issues, i seems as when it get hot it starts to play up ....
I love a story with a happy ending!