ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 gearbox advice

Looking for some advice lads had a look on the search section and couldn't find anything definitive ,
I looked at buying a clio 197 but was put of by the gear box issues tbh, I was wounding has anything been changed between the 197/200 ? Have they got a revised new gear box?
I understand some of the problems could be driver error / lack of servicing but judging on the amount or people saying the box had failed on the 197 I'd put it down to poor build!

Any help would be good lads
Alex

BMW E34 540i
I thought 197 and 200 share the same gearbox ? Anyway 200 gearboxes fail too if you haven't heard.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Don't be put off as all 172, 182 etc all have chocolate boxes.
Get a late 200 & stop worrying the warranty is excellent ;)

Not a 320d
Some are good, some arent. I think they "revised" the gearbox back in the 197 era, although clearly its not solved anything. Though I dont own a sport, my GT has the TL4 box found in the 197/200's and that went at about 8000 miles. Had it replaced with an updated version and im now on 27k with no issues. Yet.

The issue is the synchromesh, usually into 3rd.

A lot of people say its down to the driver rushing the synchros. Trust me, it isnt. I never rush a gearbox on any car, the TL4 doesnt even feel as though it could be rushed. Although once it had definately gone I PROPERLY shagged it before taking it into renault to make sure there was no question it had an issue. They reported it to "definately have something very seriously wrong with it".

Im toying with the idea of buying a 200 at the moment, theyre so cheap now! Id have to get one with warranty though for this reason and would advise you did the same, or find out what a replacement box would cost fitted and be prepared for it.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
There is no revision on the TL4 gearbox for the 200-

Ive done customer gearbox warranty already on a 5k mile Clio 200

S

Thanks for the reply lads, not really what I was wanting to hear!
Do renaut make any contribution to replace the box should it go and be out of warranty?
Suppose I could get one of them warrentys from warranty direct ,
Thanks again fellas