ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 high comp throttle boddies or low boost

megane 265/clio 182
Been in 2 minds if to sell or not big may think about above anyone had both? What would people recomend
dd452d96a97682b78111cd45acdae7ed.jpg

megane 265/clio 182
Gets used a few times a year for track and ocasional road use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
Is it much slower tho. Been looking at a high comp with better rods pistons the lot ? Running between 220-230

It won;t be slower, but it will cost you 5 times as much

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Pure Motorsport's 240bhp kit is £4k+ and that does not include: any induction, throttle bodies, exhaust manifold, oil catch tank, ignition coil, plug leads, flywheel or auxiliary belt driven parts.

megane 265/clio 182
I see someone may be selling a hi spec one for 4K ish fitted there not sure if wanna sell yet tho.

182 Turbo
Is it much slower tho. Been looking at a high comp with better rods pistons the lot ? Running between 220-230

Yeah, its much slower. even if you were 230 bhp on itb's and 230 bhp on turbo, itbs will still be noticeably slower

182 Turbo
Exact opposite IMO. The throttle bodied car will destroy the turbo car on track
Not in the slightest, the ITB'd car will make it's 230 bhp at something like 8250 rpm, the turbo car will be making 230bhp at probably 5.5k-6k rpm and have +50% more torque, the perfect scenario of power for exiting corners fast. imo thats also the reason itb cars are more known for being unreliable, ive never seen a setup that doesnt have a raised rev limiter to 8k+ and anyone reputable would reccomend you get arp bolts for the conrods, clio's do not like to be at those rpm ranges from what ive seen. So turbo is more ideal considering you dont have to ring its neck to get power.

PH2 172
Gets used a few times a year for track and ocasional road use
172/182 `s are quick enough, and reliable as standard to have fun on track days.
The novelty of arriving 10 or 15 mph faster at corners will soon loose it`s appeal when realise you still have to round them at the same speed as now.
I`d spend my money on AST`s, PMS`s subframe strengthening, custom wishbones, RARB & bump steer elimination kits, ABS delete and see if I could round the corners 10mph quicker.

dan's cast offs.
a decent build high comp motor will at least be on the heels of a low boost car on track. no way either you get 50% more torque from low boost, again good bodied engine will give you comfortably over 180 lb/ft. throw in something like the pms exhaust manifold and huge bodies and no reason why you won't see 190. you ain't going to get 270 lb/ft from low boost.

as for a bodied engine being unreliable that's a complete myth.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I'd go throttle bodies all day long, especially on a track car. It just suits the Clio a lot more in my eyes.

182 Turbo
a decent build high comp motor will at least be on the heels of a low boost car on track. no way either you get 50% more torque from low boost, again good bodied engine will give you comfortably over 180 lb/ft. throw in something like the pms exhaust manifold and huge bodies and no reason why you won't see 190. you ain't going to get 270 lb/ft from low boost.

as for a bodied engine being unreliable that's a complete myth.
In terms of track driving, on the mid / exit corner when you get back on the power, for the most part id say you're more than likely going to be in the 5-6k rpm range area. Thats where these low boost conversions shine, i wasnt speaking in exact sciences but i took a peek at some itb'd 182 dyno results to refresh my memory and in that rpm range the itb car was making 160 lbft, whereas the low boost clio (my one to be exact) is making 230 lb ft at that rpm range which makes them great for catapulting out of corners. which is more or less (less) 50%
I certainly wasnt talking about peak figures, because youre right no low boost clio is going to make 270lbft.
In real world scenarios though, you're right it's not like youre going to lap the itb car but i was just making the point it is faster, everywhere in the rev range.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I have driven both, on the road and on track. Both are noticeably quicker than the standard clio, the turbo car is noticeably quicker than the ITB'd clio.

Would either be more fun on track, No would be my opinion. Although if i was to invest my money into either ITB's or turbo it would be Turbo every time, costs less and you gain more IMO.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I would've happily put my 230bhp n/a cup up against any boost bus. It went like a stabbed rat tbh and the 181lb/ft of ensured it pulled extremely well. In fact, it could pull the limiter in 5th and was far more rewarding to drive as you had to rev it out. Oh and that was to 8k reliably.

If you want to drive fast and with ease, it's boost.

Having said that, I also enjoyed knocking the s**t out of the standard engine on full grp n timing.

182 Turbo
Either one might make you slower, depending on how you appreciate money. I've only ever done two track days in turbo clios and i only drove it probably 50% of what they are capable of.
Mechanical sympathy is a big thing when it comes to tuned clios (itb & fi) if you want any type of longevity.
Im at brands hatch a lot, as i live about 7 minutes away from there, and i can tell you from all my experience of being there, the fastest 1*2's ive ever seen are completely standard, bar an exhaust and stripping and ive seen 3 or 4 turbocharged ones on more than one occasion there, itb'd ones and even one supercharged one.
Infact, besides public trackdays, the fastest 182s ive seen are the ones that compete in the 750mc clio 182 championship which are capable of high 56s laps of the indy circuit, and they are standard weight clio 182 cups!
My point is attitude and commitment are the main factors, having been there alot im 100% certain i could do better lap times in a standard clio 1*2 that i could buy for cheap, and if i done more trackdays this is definately a route i would go down, find some cat d 172 cup for a thousand notes and have less worry about reliability and crashing it, with this mentality you can push harder and potentially have more worry free fun on your track days.
Technically speaking however, theres a reason why for most motorsports FI & NA are not allowed to compete together, they are in different leagues, for the most part naturally aspirated cant compete with turbocharged cars, infact forced induction makes NA redundant in many ways.
This is more aimed at all cars not just clios but in terms of performance theres only few reasons why you would choose NA over FI tuning route, either you are a true diehard NA fanboy (of which i kinda am would you believe it :p) infact if money were no object, id love to build a n/a honda s2k, amuse, Js racing and spoon all do bolt ons that can build you a 330bhp+ n/a s2k which i can only imagine is unreal!
Or, you are building a competitive car that is restrained by rules allowing N/A only.
N/A tuning unless for the reasons above is also financially nonviable, certainly in the s2ks case as any 300bhp build is going to cost upwards of £15k whereas you could turbocharge or supercharge it for a lot less and have a lot more capable machine, which is the same story in most cases of n/a tuning versus FI tuning.
As per above, it doesn't really matter if driver ''a'' can keep on the heels of driver ''b'' in their n/a versus the FI , thats just the skill and the commitment of the driver showing, the FI car is always going to have the potential of being a better performing car.
Id love to see some feedback even if your opinion differs from the above, as i genuinely love talking about this kinda stuff so long as its discussion rather than argument of course :D
and of course if you are interested in reading the life story post i just made :p