ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Clutch Change - remove engine too?

Clio
Good evening all,

I'm likely to be carrying out the clutch change on my Clio 182 following the symptoms of a broken spring on the pressure plate (which a renault garage also concluded) due to inconsistent clutch drag problems.

I have read a few of the guides on here and elsewhere. It looks as though to get the gearbox out most of the engine connections are also removed and it is not much more to remove the engine too. Would it not be easier / better to remove the engine and gearbox together, split them off the car and then be able to easily change the release bearing etc and put it all back together?

Another question, do people bother replacing the crank oil seal on these engines?

Thanks!

dan's cast offs.
nope, more work taking the engine out. drop subframe on the passengers side and slide the box over.

Clio
Hi bloke,

Thanks. Is that to take the gearbox out or just slide it back to replace the clutch?

If the latter, can you get access to the release bearing?

monaco 172
I'm sure when I did it on my 182 I was able to change the clutch and release bearing without even touching the subframe.

It was a few years ago now but I definatly didn't touch the subframe

Clio
Thanks guys.

I have just read a method posted by Scrooge from some time ago. They said that dropping one side of the frame was enough to slide the box across without disturbing rad coolant etc. Is that right?

Thanks

Westfield, 182, 200
Make sure you loosen the steering column joint!
I unbolted the LH side of my subframe, but it wouldn't drop. Had to lever it off with a 2x4. The collar on the rear subframe mounting had peened over slightly in the bodywork. Had me foxed for a bit!!

Clio
Hi,

A couple of questions, when the sub frame is slackened off / partially removed, does it require realigning or can the sub frame only fit in one place?

Will the suspension tracking require setting afterwards?

Do you bother replacing the crank seal whilst it is apart as well?

dan's cast offs.
Subframe has got two lugs at the rear so lines back up. No reason for tracking to be done.

Only replace crank seal if it's leaking and it's rare they do.

thatflookguy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 172 Turbo
Sorry to revive this thread, can the clutch fork be replaced this way too? Thinking whilst I’m changing the clutch to do the fork at the same time.

Clutch is fine but the bearing has a slight whine.