ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 track car

Clio sleeper
Hi
I have a 53 plate 172 track car the front abs has been cut from previous owner so it has no abs but the speedo doesn't work due to the speed sensor being in with the abs system. Had it checked the rear abs is stil in place but rear left sensor not working... Anyone no I way that the speedo can work
With out having the abs?

Thanks Luke

182 Trophy
Think the 172 speed sensor is off the gearbox and the 182 gets it signal off the ABS system? Might be worth looking for the sensor on top of the gearbox on your 172?

Clio sleeper
I've checked mate but there is no sensor on the gearbox :( does anyone no if I had the rear abs sensors working on the rear would that make the speedo work?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
When you say the front ABS has been cut, what do you mean? Is it running the cup brake setup? Or a bias valve etc? Is it road legal, I.e. Has an MOT?

Braking aside, if the ABS has gone, and you're not running an early gearbox with speedo sensor on the box, then I'd just get a satnav and read the speed of that. It is unlikely an MOT will pick up the speedometer not working.

Clio sleeper
When you say the front ABS has been cut, what do you mean? Is it running the cup brake setup? Or a bias valve etc? Is it road legal, I.e. Has an MOT?

Braking aside, if the ABS has gone, and you're not running an early gearbox with speedo sensor on the box, then I'd just get a satnav and read the speed of that. It is unlikely an MOT will pick up the speedometer not working.
The rear abs is all still all on the car but rear left sensor not working the fronts the previous owner has cut the wires but not sure how far yet.. The car has a mot it's not running no cup system can the cup system be put on it then without the abs light staying on? If I put all sensors back on & run the standard abs system is there a easy way to make the abs system not work for track?
Thanks
Luke

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Does it have a bias valve?

If not, then I'd be surprised if it isn't running 50/50 braking, which is far from ideal for track.

I'd get the ABS sensors back in, and get ABS working and just run it on track with ABS to be honest. I stripped mine out, as it is better for track, but I have a speedo gearbox so it doesn't effect my speedo at all.

There is no easy way to make it switchable between ABS / non-ABS. You either strip it out, and run a speedo gearbox setup, or you leave it in (this is based on it needing to be road legal still).