ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup Owner :)

ASH_7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Hello hello,

I had myself a Clio 1.2 16v for my first car at 17 and always wished it was a Clio 172 Cup.. 13 years later I am now an owner! I got offered this from a family friend at a price I couldn't refuse.

Planning to fix it up to make it look factory fresh again and have some fun with it. Car is a 1 owner from new and has climate control... which I wonder if that was rare as all the ones I've seen don't have it!? I've had it about 6 months but its been in storage so decided to make a start on it this week.

Here's the day I bought it, looking a bit sorry for itself! The wheels are off for a refurb as we speak, new tyres and brakes ready to be fitted also!

Anything I should look out for, known issues, or good things to replace!?

Looking forward to getting stuck into the forum, cheers :)

IMG_7584.JPG

Nice pick up :)

You could lift off the rear interior panels to check for rust at the bottom of the wings - they can see some epic rust under the skirts if it's seen a lot of salt or damp weather, I believe.

If you're using it over winter, you could give it a thorough cleaning underneath and then do some waxoyl-ing or dinitrol-ing to reduce the risk of rust setting in. Don't forget to clean the lips of the rear arches!

I think it would be worth doing a service as well, especially if it's been left standing. Do you know when the belts and dephaser pulley thingy were last done? If you don't know, might be worth doing them as preventative maintenance.

And, of course, it's a Cup - so no ABS or traction control - and we are now entering what is officially known as 'Cup Killing Season' :D lol, so go carefully, especially if you only have experience with modern stuff with lots of electronic safety systems!

535d / t5 caravelle
What brakes you going for? I had brembo hc discs and Ferodo ds2500 pads more than enough for fast road use in a clio, stopping power was spot on, well worth doing if your doing the brakes.

ASH_7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Nice pick up :)

You could lift off the rear interior panels to check for rust at the bottom of the wings - they can see some epic rust under the skirts if it's seen a lot of salt or damp weather, I believe.

If you're using it over winter, you could give it a thorough cleaning underneath and then do some waxoyl-ing or dinitrol-ing to reduce the risk of rust setting in. Don't forget to clean the lips of the rear arches!

I think it would be worth doing a service as well, especially if it's been left standing. Do you know when the belts and dephaser pulley thingy were last done? If you don't know, might be worth doing them as preventative maintenance.

And, of course, it's a Cup - so no ABS or traction control - and we are now entering what is officially known as 'Cup Killing Season' :D lol, so go carefully, especially if you only have experience with modern stuff with lots of electronic safety systems!

Cheers pal :), ah cool I’ll check that out over the weekend when the wheels come back.. definitely want to catch any rust before it sets in! I’ve got access to a 4 post lift so ill be sure to have a good look underneath too, see if it needs a good clean up and some waxoyl-ing.

I do plan to a full service and cambelt, dephaser sounds ok at the moment but I guess might as well do it at the same time while I’m going to all that effort, not sure when the cam belt was last done.

You know what I didn’t even know there is no ABS. This is why I signed up here! I’ll be honest I’ve driven the car once for about 10 minutes from my house to a storage unit I have.. and its sat there ever since, so looking forward to getting to know my car! Lol.. Cup Killing season.. well if that is the case I might have to save it for the summer! I'm used to driving a MK7 Golf R and have a Mini Cooper S R53 so think I will go careful with the Clio haha.

ASH_7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
What brakes you going for? I had brembo hc discs and Ferodo ds2500 pads more than enough for fast road use in a clio, stopping power was spot on, well worth doing if your doing the brakes.

Well I'd say that was a good shout that's what I've gone for.. ha.. apart from the pads, just bought the brembo pads so I'll see if they are any good if not I will go for the Ferodo! Going away from Clio chat.. have you got an R53!? I'm building one at the moment for track

535d / t5 caravelle
Indeed I have, had it about 2 years now, it’s about the only car that I’ve had, that compares to the fun feeling a clio gives, ( and some ) absolutely love it, only use it 2/3 times a week, the mrs uses it for work, I use it when I get chance lol.

Thread below, needs updating, bumpers sorted, got some 550 injectors, need a catcam next and the meisters fitting, all next year now. Any info on your r53?

Clio cups are ace, I wouldn’t worry about non abs, , mine never killed me in 4 years!

Oh there’s a few mini’s appeared on here lately, so worth a noisy.

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/mini-cooper-s.810237/

ASH_7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Indeed I have, had it about 2 years now, it’s about the only car that I’ve had, that compares to the fun feeling a clio gives, ( and some ) absolutely love it, only use it 2/3 times a week, the mrs uses it for work, I use it when I get chance lol.

Thread below, needs updating, bumpers sorted, got some 550 injectors, need a catcam next and the meisters fitting, all next year now. Any info on your r53?

Clio cups are ace, I wouldn’t worry about non abs, , mine never killed me in 4 years!

Oh there’s a few mini’s appeared on here lately, so worth a noisy.

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/mini-cooper-s.810237/

Ahh nice I absolutely love my mini its like a go kart. Sure looks like your cars got all the right mods.. looks awesome! Ill have to have a good read through the thread going to give me some points I'm sure.. like the look of that coil pack!

Thats good to know Mini and Clio chat all in one place.. perfect!! I did have a look at the Mini2 forum but just too much going on to keep up with so gave up! Started myself an instagram as a kinda build thread but at the moment I have a lot of stuff in boxes and not on the car yet. (@98bby_r53)

So far I have ready to fit:
  • 550cc injectors
  • NGK spark plugs
  • Newman cam
  • JCW R56 4-pot Brembo calipers
  • 316mm Brembo discs
  • Pro-line braided brake lines
  • Wiper delete
  • Airtec intercooler
  • Kavs 17% pulley
  • JCW diff (but worried its not going to be good enough and ill need a quaife, what do you reckon?)

Currently fitted
  • Scorpion cat back
  • Kavs 15% pulley
  • Some lowering springs (Cant remember what they are lol)
  • RAM air intake
  • Teflon coated supercharger
  • Polybushed front/rear
Still lots more bits to buy and lots more planned for it.. But here it is:

IMG_7585.jpg

535d / t5 caravelle
Ahh nice I absolutely love my mini its like a go kart. Sure looks like your cars got all the right mods.. looks awesome! Ill have to have a good read through the thread going to give me some points I'm sure.. like the look of that coil pack!

Thats good to know Mini and Clio chat all in one place.. perfect!! I did have a look at the Mini2 forum but just too much going on to keep up with so gave up! Started myself an instagram as a kinda build thread but at the moment I have a lot of stuff in boxes and not on the car yet. (@98bby_r53)

So far I have ready to fit:
  • 550cc injectors
  • NGK spark plugs
  • Newman cam
  • JCW R56 4-pot Brembo calipers
  • 316mm Brembo discs
  • Pro-line braided brake lines
  • Wiper delete
  • Airtec intercooler
  • Kavs 17% pulley
  • JCW diff (but worried its not going to be good enough and ill need a quaife, what do you reckon?)

Currently fitted
  • Scorpion cat back
  • Kavs 15% pulley
  • Some lowering springs (Cant remember what they are lol)
  • RAM air intake
  • Teflon coated supercharger
  • Polybushed front/rear
Still lots more bits to buy and lots more planned for it.. But here it is:

View attachment 1396625

The best colour i see![emoji1303]

nice list of mods you got there, will make a cracking car, mines currently on springs, eibach proline, tbf there not bad. much better than everyone makes out on minitorque!

my car came with the quaife so couldn't tell how much better it is, but im sure i @Sir_Dave commented in his thread about how much better it was over stock lsd.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ASH_7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Well here's a little bit of progress so far ?..

From this...

1c44a6ad-6ada-4719-a70c-7efadcbb24c5.jpg

To this!

bf870c2c-0cca-4ca2-aa99-a1e09bacfbb5.jpg

Will have the tyres on them this week and I'll hopefully get a change to fit the new discs and pads next weekend.. then it'll be ready for the MOT ?

ASH_7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
The best colour i see![emoji1303]

nice list of mods you got there, will make a cracking car, mines currently on springs, eibach proline, tbf there not bad. much better than everyone makes out on minitorque!

my car came with the quaife so couldn't tell how much better it is, but im sure i @Sir_Dave commented in his thread about how much better it was over stock lsd.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'd agree grey is the best colour! Thanks it all seems to be coming together nicely, getting it ready for the track punishment its going to get next year! haha. I'd like to get some coilovers at some point but can't really fault the springs to be fair. Cool ill have a good read through those threads cheers ?

Land Rover
Looks a nice example.

These cars generally don’t rust, not where you can see anyway!
So they always look really nice. It’s only when you get under the skin that the amount of work needed becomes apparent.

This was the case with all the one l looked at.

ASH_7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Looks a nice example.

These cars generally don’t rust, not where you can see anyway!
So they always look really nice. It’s only when you get under the skin that the amount of work needed becomes apparent.

This was the case with all the one l looked at.

Thanks ?. Where did you find rust hiding on the ones you looked at? Had been told about taking the rear door cards out, any where else?

This car was kept on a very sloped drive way for its life before I bought it, so I'm hoping that might have helped it over the years but who knows.. going to be taking trim/bumpers off to check all is looking as it should.

Land Rover
The Clio resists rust well. You can take off the rear trim panels to look inside the rear panels. You’ll need a mirror, or take a picture with your phone, to see down to the bottom.
Spray the area with a rustproofing agent, l would recommend spray grease.
Also take out the rear lights and you can then spray inside the rear wheel arches all the way round.
On the 172 it may also be worth removing the side sill skirts to check the sills, you’ll need to drill out the rivets and then put new ones in when you refit them.

On my 182 this was all fine, but they can rust, after all any 172 is over 15 years old.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Welcome! @ASH_7R

I'm sending you your ClioSport Membership Welcome Pack, but the first line of your address is missing.
Please PM me this info. Thanks!