ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 - Cracked Gearbox

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
So on Wednesday night I had a nightmare with my car, could smell something really weird and noticed it was spewing out oil. Pulled in to a car park straight away and pushed it into a space (didn't want to start it). Initially thought it was engine oil but I left the car until Saturday to check it, got it up on axle stands and turns out the gearbox has a crack in it.
iehIz.png

So first of all I was looking at replacement cars as I thought it would be too expensive to fix but soon realised it would be a right PITA to have 2 Clios swapping over all the mods and then breaking the old one and then scrapping it. I've done some searching and found gearboxes to be around £60 - £70 and also found a box supplied and fitted at RenParts for £270.

Got a couple of questions:
  • First of all my car has the D4F 712 engine so is the gearbox that I need the JB1513? Is anyone able to confirm or check this for me?
  • Also has anyone had experience with RenParts? They seem a well established company dealing with Renaults so I would assume their work and parts are quite good. The price for the install also seems very competitive compared to having the work done at a local garage.
  • Been speaking to a few people I know and they have offered to help me to swap the box if I were to buy one. Not sure what the process involves so I am a bit hesitant but they assure me that they've done it before and it shouldn't take too long or be too difficult. I'm just worried about the car being left after half the work is done or we discover further problems. Would rather have it at a garage and have the peace of mind that the work is being carried out properly and if anything else is an issue it can be sorted while it is there. Anyone able to advise on this?

PH2 172
So on Wednesday night I had a nightmare with my car, could smell something really weird and noticed it was spewing out oil. Pulled in to a car park straight away and pushed it into a space (didn't want to start it). Initially thought it was engine oil but I left the car until Saturday to check it, got it up on axle stands and turns out the gearbox has a crack in it.
View attachment 1342566
So first of all I was looking at replacement cars as I thought it would be too expensive to fix but soon realised it would be a right PITA to have 2 Clios swapping over all the mods and then breaking the old one and then scrapping it. I've done some searching and found gearboxes to be around £60 - £70 and also found a box supplied and fitted at RenParts for £270.

Got a couple of questions:
  • First of all my car has the D4F 712 engine so is the gearbox that I need the JB1513? Is anyone able to confirm or check this for me?
  • Also has anyone had experience with RenParts? They seem a well established company dealing with Renaults so I would assume their work and parts are quite good. The price for the install also seems very competitive compared to having the work done at a local garage.
  • Been speaking to a few people I know and they have offered to help me to swap the box if I were to buy one. Not sure what the process involves so I am a bit hesitant but they assure me that they've done it before and it shouldn't take too long or be too difficult. I'm just worried about the car being left after half the work is done or we discover further problems. Would rather have it at a garage and have the peace of mind that the work is being carried out properly and if anything else is an issue it can be sorted while it is there. Anyone able to advise on this?
I`d go with Renparts idea for £270 all in for the reasons you state, could probably be done in a day while you hang about.
Which leaves the question of will the car drive to Doncaster, or is the crack in the box caused by something letting go inside the box?

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
I`d go with Renparts idea for £270 all in for the reasons you state, could probably be done in a day while you hang about.
Which leaves the question of will the car drive to Doncaster, or is the crack in the box caused by something letting go inside the box?

Most likely to go with RenParts, will phone them tomorrow as they’re not open today.

Not 100% sure why the box has cracked, it did start up straight away after I switched it off but after I left it a few days and all the oil poured out it didn’t want to start. I wasn’t planning on driving it there though, my dad knows someone with a transporter so will pick it up and drop it off for a bit of cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  PH2 172
Most likely to go with RenParts, will phone them tomorrow as they’re not open today.

Not 100% sure why the box has cracked, it did start up straight away after I switched it off but after I left it a few days and all the oil poured out it didn’t want to start. I wasn’t planning on driving it there though, my dad knows someone with a transporter so will pick it up and drop off it for a bit of cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem solved then.:smile: