ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 16v camshaft oil cap missing, major oil leak

Mk2 Clio 1.2 16v
I have a mk2 Clio 1.2 16v and today I came back to it and found it'd decided to dump rather a lot of oil on the floor!
After getting the airbox our of the way, it looks like a little cap on the end of the camshaft has come off, letting oil pour out. This is on the right side of the engine, just to the left of the airbox and above the thermostat. I've circled the cap in the attached picture (which isn't of my car, just off google).

Does anyone know what this is called & where I can get it?
Also, is there anything more major to check for before just putting a new cap on & driving it again?
ntSmmDQ.jpg

Clio 172 Merc ML55
These are the ones for the sport engines but I believe theyll fit all 16v?? Google the part numbers and see mate
Screenshot_2016-10-02-15-17-23.png

Mk2 Clio 1.2 16v
Googling the part numbers seems to suggest it fits all the 16v engines down to the 1.4, but the 1.2 wasn't listed.
It's a starting point though, I'll call Renault tomorrow & see if they've got the equivalent part for my engine.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Excellent, struggled to find one online though as everything seemed to be in Russian. I'm sure Renault will stock them still

Mk2 Clio 1.2 16v
Yeah, I had trouble find it online. Found it on one site, but it said they didn't stock all parts listed & would order them from France if they didn't stock it.
I also found an aftermarket part, but it was the same price as the genuine one on the other site so may as well go for the Renault one if I can get it.
I'll try Renault tomorrow :)

Porsche 996 Carrera
Worth a thread revival as it's just happened to my daughter's 1.2. Renault got one for me next day £7.25. For a feckin bath-plug. What a p1ss-poor design.
I was very lucky though, as I'd driven about 15 miles before getting home and having a look (tell-tale sign being the smell of burning - never a good thing! :D )

Used up a fair bit of oil (just recently serviced too FFS). Thankfully the cap just taps back into place. I tapped it 95% of the way in, leaving a small lip.

renault clio 1.5 dci
Really helpful thread - my daughters 1.2 Clio 16v has just lost its all oil in a few miles - she was only aware because of the smell/smoke - put oil back in and no obvious leaks - started it up and immediately oil poured out from underneath- couldn‘t understand it and was going to scrap the car, then read this thread - now I’ll go and check again. Even if it’s not the answer it has been great having some hope !

renault clio 1.5 dci
Really helpful thread - my daughters 1.2 Clio 16v has just lost its all oil in a few miles - she was only aware because of the smell/smoke - put oil back in and no obvious leaks - started it up and immediately oil poured out from underneath- couldn‘t understand it and was going to scrap the car, then read this thread - now I’ll go and check again. Even if it’s not the answer it has been great having some hope !
Update - it was the plug and now after 10
minutes work the car lives on - thank
you!