ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Click when taking up drive and its not the driveshafts....

Clio 182 2005
As title says, i have a click click when taking up drive, I recently replaced the dog bone and the sound went but the new dog bone allowed the manifold to hit the anti roll bar and cause a horrendous noise when booting it (This was the steel plate version) . I have now changed this dog bone back to the old one (twisted aluminium job) and checked the manifold is not hitting the anti roll bar which it doesn't all ok on that front. Still the clicking persists though.. Now if i grab the engine and rock it I can hear maybe one of the clicks and it sounds like it could be from the front of the gearbox mount. Could this noise be a possible worn gearbox mount? I have been under the car this morning and I cannot find anything else that may be causing this. A bit stumped really want to try a new gearbox mount but thought I would ask the forums advise first. Any ideas folks?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I'd check all the engine mounts tbh, if you can make the noise by literally manually rocking the engine then sounds like kippered mounts.

Clio 182 2005
Gearbox mount replaced, engine is a lot more solid now now wobbles but!!!!! still have the click click when taking up drive. Any further ideas, have tried driving in circles on full lock and no clicks from the driveshaft CV's. Suppose it could be the wishbone bushes or balljoints

Clio 182 2005
Wheelbolts tight James, I took the wheel off and unfortunatly found a few issues,
1. Trackrod end balljoint gaiter is ripped.
2. CV gaiter has been jubilee clipped on at some point in the past and now grease is leaking out of it. Boot is not ripped though.
3. Track rod inner gaiter is split.

Looks like I have a few "Jobs" to do.

Thanks for the replys guys.