ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning silver seatbelts

Williams 2
So I want to clean the front seatbelts on my 182, can anyone recommend something decent to clean them?

Was just going to go out and buy something like an autoglym interior cleaner and use my meguiars brush, but i'm not confident that will do much - they're filthy!

Was thinking of taking the seatbelt 'rolls' out, wrapping them up really well with lots of pillow cases, and throwing them in the washing machine!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Fairy Liquid mate and your brush just use lots of MFs.

Wet vac is best of course or g101.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Bucket of hot water with soap powder in, use a nail brush. Theres a thread on another forum using this method and they came up brilliant.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
You can also put them so that the seatbelt is outside of the door and jetwash them. Crude, but effective

Ph1 172 (titanium)
Yep. Pull outside the door when washing. Bit of apc in with your snow foam. If you've got this. Could just spray in apc and leave to sit. Then wash out mate

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Bucket of hot water with soap powder in, use a nail brush. Theres a thread on another forum using this method and they came up brilliant.

Great shout mate.

The other 2 suggestions seem a tad hamfisted.

Clio 197
Good thread, i also need to do mine, read about pulling them outside the car and washing but i would be too concerned with causing some kind of paint damage.

I done mine this way.

Pull the belts out as far as they will go, close the door to trap them, then get some all purpose cleaner (I mixed it in a spray bottle with hot water) spray the belts on both sides and work in with a nail brush. Let it soak in for a good 5-10 mins as long as your not doing it in direct sun light/hot place. Then was a pressure washer to rinse them off and leave the belts to dry before putting them back in the car.

Mine come up like new doing this. Only took about 20mins to do both side as well. Will get photos up if I can find them.....

Before:

IMG_0954_zpsdc2b9d0f.jpg

50/50:

IMG_0955_zps491739b3.jpg

Yeah the belts were quite bad, but tbh they didn't look THAT bad till I done the 50/50 :eek: :lolup:

But come up like new again :D Can imagine doing it by hand with microfibres/clothes would take a while!! If you have or can get hold of a pressure wash I would definitely use it ;)

2004 Clio RS 182
Soaked mine with APC for 5-10 mins then pressure washed them.

I unbolted the belts at the bottom so I could do the bits that would be missed by just hanging them over the door.

Look 10x better silver than grubby brown.

I had just logged in to ask the best way to clean seatbelts and saw this thread! Excellent! The results using the pressure washing method look amazing! Again, how long do they take to dry?

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Take long to dry out Joe?
A lot quicker than I though they would to be honest mate. I was planning in leaving them hanging out of the car overnight, but there was no need too in the end.

You could always use a hair drier to quicken up the process.

Mine only took about 10 mins a side if that!

The way I done it was working in APC on one side, let it dwell, then do the same to the other side, and by the time you have done that then just power wash the first side then the second.

For drying time I done mine last year on an overcast day and wasn't that warm, only took 2 hours to dry iirc. Tried to speed it up using a hair dryer but gave up after 5 mins as I got bored :lolup:

Done mine today they look a million times better!! Don't know if it was the way i done it but i got absolutely soaked! Shall do it in my pants next time lol

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Done mine today they look a million times better!! Don't know if it was the way i done it but i got absolutely soaked! Shall do it in my pants next time lol

Will remember not to go anywhere near yours when you're doing that mate...shudders! ;)

turbo 182
i'd advise to put some tape or something on the little plastic bit on the belt as when i pressure washed my belts on one side of the car its been flapping about and rubbed the paint off the bump strip :(
IMG-20130317-00144_zps966c26a2.jpg

IMG-20130317-00143_zps1a08cebb.jpg

IMG-20130317-00142_zps1b217092.jpg

Best way to do it is unbolt the seatbelt near the floor, pull the whole kot outside the door and drop in a bucket to soak.

Then hold the end of the belt and jetwash it, can be a bit tricky at first but you won't damage the paint.

Only downside is you WILL get very wet lol.