ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning routine

Racing Blue 182
I am a complete novice when it comes to cleaning my car, I'm one of those that usually just uses soapy water and a pressure washer. So I cleaned my car today and it came out really well, and it has inspired me to clean my car more often and use more products to make it look really good!

I know I'm going to get slated for this for being an idiot but I want to buy this kit:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...&productId=821139&categoryId=165671&langId=-1

The kit includes:
Autoglym's Bodywork Shampoo & Conditioner, Super Resin Polish, Extra Gloss Protection, Clean Wheels, Instant Tyre Dressing, Car Glass Polish, Interior Shampoo, Hi-Tech Finishing Cloth, Aqua Dry Synthetic Chamois, Perfect Palm Applicator & high quality Sponge

Basically what I would like to know is what would be the best order to use these products? And what sponges/cloths to use with which products!?

I know it is a really stupid question but I want to make good use of it and make my car look good! And I have never done this before!

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Have a look in the detailing thread buddy. There's tons of good advice in there. Spend some time reading through it (particularly the stuff posted by Gally coz he really knows his stuff). You'll soon start to get an idea of which products are good value for money.

Racing Blue 182
Oh nice thanks mate!

Just wanted to know what other people would do with these products, I know there are plenty more out there but I like the thought of starting with a cleaning kit to get an idea whats what! Just don't have a clue how to use them lol.

ITB BG 182
Well most people on here adapt the two bucket method for cleaning.

1 - Pressure wash the car and get as much as possible off the surface
2 - Two bucket method with the shampoo in one bucket, clean fresh water in the other, use the sponge/mitt.
3 - Once done, rinse the car off.
4 - Spray Clean Wheels on to one wheel at a time.
5 - Clean the wheels, try to use a different spong to your bodywork one.
6 - Rinse off.
7 - Use the chamois to dry the car.
8 - Now use SRP (super resin polish) with the palm applicator, not much to do each panel.
9 - Once dry, buff off with the finishing cloth.
10 - Use the EGP, you will not need a lot on the applicator, once done, leave for as directed on the bottle.
11 - Buff off with the finishing cloth again.
12 - The wheels should be dry by now, spray the instant tyre shine on to the tyres.
13 - Wipe any excess spray off your alloys.
14 - Glass cleaner on, well the glass and interior shampoo as directed on the bottle.

You can by all means use the SRP on your wheels followed by EGP like you would with the body work and if you really fancy throwing the money about, get some Autogylms HD Wax.

Merry Christmas!

Racing Blue 182

2 - Two bucket method with the shampoo in one bucket, clean fresh water in the other, use the sponge/mitt.
6 - Rinse off.
8 - Now use SRP (super resin polish) with the palm applicator, not much to do each panel.
10 - Use the EGP, you will not need a lot on the applicator, once done, leave for as directed on the bottle.
12 - The wheels should be dry by now, spray the instant tyre shine on to the tyres.
14 - Glass cleaner on, well the glass and interior shampoo as directed on the bottle.

You can by all means use the SRP on your wheels followed by EGP like you would with the body work and if you really fancy throwing the money about, get some Autogylms HD Wax.

Merry Christmas!

Thankyou so much John for taking the time to write that out for me! It was exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated!!!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200

6 - Rinse off.

Merry Christmas!

Always thought it was a good idea to do wheels first, to prevent it spraying crap over the car once clean. And chamois?

A few things in there I disagree with tbh.

ITB BG 182
Always thought it was a good idea to do wheels first, to prevent it spraying crap over the car once clean. And chamois?

A few things in there I disagree with tbh.
First off he does not have a MF Drying towel, as stated he wanted to know how to use stuff in the package that hes looking at buying.
Wheels is a prefference, I rinse the whole car off with a jet wash and SF after but when doing the wheels I just use the open end of the hose so no splash back happens.