ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning after respray

Turbos.
My VX220 has a chipped front and i am going to get the front clam resprayed at some point. Does fresh paint require special treatment?

Also, are any of you detailing gurus in the SE? How much do you charge?

Thanks.

1.6 16v
Well my old bonnet didnt really have stone chips on it and i had a new one and got that resprayed and 6months later its more white than black with stone chips! Not Happy!!!!!

Steve

In theory it should come back perfect and they will have baked it nad youi can wax it straight away and no special treatment required - although paint is likely to be softer.

In practice ;) It will come back swirled where they have hit it too hard with the rotary and tbh its probably hard to properly bake it. I would leave it for a few weeks and then polish it with sctach x and wax with a wax of your choice

1.6 16v
Unlucky Steve!

Thanks for the advice.

I know! It also looks like i have had a brillo to it too:(

Its winding me up when i look at the front, going to buy a PC to see if that helps and it should sort the rest of the car out too :) but will not be able to get rid of the stone chips. Maybe a respray and then a bra!

Steve

With modern paints getting more water based now they do chip much easier. I had the front of mine resprayed 1 year ago...and its back in the paintshop being done again at the moment. I was thinking about trying some of the clear stone guard stuff.. there are a few types about, this is one of the options.

http://www.armourfend.com/

106 GTi
Best of asking the painter what you can and can't do after.

Polishing will be fine in any circumstances on the new paint as long as it is sealnat/wax free. Depending on how the new paint has been baked you may need to leave it for 30-90 days plus or it may be fine to apply selant or wax straight away but only the bodyshop will know on this one.

106 GTi
you may need to leave it for 30-90 days plus

I seriously hope i haven't got to wait that long when mine goes in next month :nono:!!!!
You may have to leave sealing and waxing the painted part that long yes - I have polishes you can use on it regardless. Though the part in question should be able to be baked in the oven off the car when painted so there should be no reason for it not to be baked proper.

FF Monaco 172
The chap said he would be baking it off the car yes, so fingers crossed! I will inquire about the aftercare tomorrow and see what he says.

106 GTi
Should be fine then, I have polishes that will leave it looking as good as the rest of the car anyway even if it can not be waxed ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'm having my bonnet & front bumper resprayed in a few weeks. meantime, I'm keeping the rest of the car in tip-top condition.

Will I have to PC then SRP & EGP the whole car if they wash it and strip all my wax off? :(

Mito Sportiva 135
I actually do that. I think they think I am mad "You DON'T want your car cleaned?! It is free you know..."

No thanks!

"Navy" N17 TWO
I actually do that. I think they think I am mad "You DON'T want your car cleaned?! It is free you know..."

No thanks!

I always got strange looks at Renault too
When the car was ever in with them I asked them not to wash it, even scored the "wash car" off the duty chart that you have to sign lol

Most times they ATTEMPTED to wash it anyway :mad:

Mito Sportiva 135
Just leave a note in the car and stick it to the dash saying not to clean it. They would rather not do it as saves them time and money, and if they go ahead with it and damage it in any way then will cause them a lot more hassle.