ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clarkson reviews the 197.

Yaris Hybrid
Ok so we all know he can talk b****cks at times but this time is worse than usual.

I have no interest in buying and won't defend a 197 as for me it is too slow for the money but I think he is wrong to say that people don't want hot hatches anymore.

In fact the man is a complete p*nis.

The reason Jezza doesn't see any Golf GTi's is because they are over priced sh*te for anyone that wants a fast cheap hatchback. As his own programmed showed there are a number of cars (e.g. CTR) that are a lot quicker, a lot cheaper and lets face it will probably be more reliable than a modern VW.

If Jezza came round my way he would see hundreds of CTR's being driven about. In Bristol every other car is a CTR and brand new hot hatches make up 90% of cars in a typical pub carpark on an evening.

I think this time he has really made himself look a tw*t. Hot hatches are not dying, its just that no one wants the one he recommended. Perhaps he is the one that is going out of fashion.

R

rich[182]

LOL what a c**k
Page 1 of the review is irrelevant to the car in question, simply journalistic bollox
Page 2 tells the prospective buyer absolutely f****ll about the car anyway
It's clear he's got a downer on Renault and hot hatches
Could have got a kid of the street and paid him a fiver to write the same crap
Laughable

Clio 172 mk2
Nonsense really

It's not as if Renault have fitted it with massive spoilers everywhere etc...it's actually still pretty stealth.

I've seen far more Golf GTis around my way than 197s and 172s/182s out together so I don't know what he's on about there either.

I think a lot of people are missing the point - Jeremy Clarkson ain't a serious motoring journalist and he knows it himself. Hence why his car reviews contain almost f**k-all about the car he's supposedly reviewing. Buy EVO if you want a motoring review, but read Clarkson if you want entertainment (although yes he does talk a load of crap some times).

I'd say he's wrong about hot hatches dying though - people are definately buying them from what I see everyday driving around...

cock mobile.
I think a lot of people are missing the point - Jeremy Clarkson ain't a serious motoring journalist and he knows it himself. Hence why his car reviews contain almost f**k-all about the car he's supposedly reviewing. Buy EVO if you want a motoring review, but read Clarkson if you want entertainment (although yes he does talk a load of crap some times).

Exactly.

Top Gear (and Clarkson) is all about entertainment and nothing about actually giving a decent review on a car.

Yaris Hybrid
Thing is I actually find cars interesting so would rather watch/read serious reviews than a load of b****cks!

If Clarkson wants to do entertainment then he should do it but stop doing fake car reviews! I am surprised the manufacturers even bother giving him cars.

Exactly.

Top Gear (and Clarkson) is all about entertainment and nothing about actually giving a decent review on a car.

Aye, my wife actually enjoys TG and she really doens't approve of or have any interest in cars, fast/nice/modified or otherwise. TG for entertainment value only, that's where (IMO) 5th Gear loses out - nae entertainment.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
why didnt he take the clio bacarra as his 'luxury' example? that was fairly well kitted wasnt it? (for the day) and is a lot more relevant (clio:clio) :p

cock mobile.
Exactly.

Aye, my wife actually enjoys TG and she really doens't approve of or have any interest in cars, fast/nice/modified or otherwise. TG for entertainment value only, that's where (IMO) 5th Gear loses out - nae entertainment.

That reminds me 5th Gear is on tonight, can someone please let me know if there's something actually worth watching on at 8pm :(

Clio 172 mk2
Exactly.

Yeah..my girlfriend enjoys it too and she hasn't much interest in cars at all.

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
he talks crap but is a legend i will never like the 197 but hope that renault never stop making renault sports

Megane Mk4
I must admit Jezza did say one thing that rang true..

Renault have killed the hot hatch in the clio, no denying that..
It's one ugly car for a start and compared to the toys and luxuries in the 182, it's way overpriced imvho, and it lacks the oomph the williams, ff 172 / 172 cup / ff 182 cup/trophy have.

He did make a true point though, they have stopped making cars straight out of the box, they stopped making the valver because insurance was so high, so they made the RSi, still nippy but not as wallet mad.

The 5 monaco had leathers, but the so-called top-of-the-range now 197 doesn't as standard?..

People who buy it are being raped by renault tbh.
My personal guess is either they change or the clio will die a horrible death (if it hasn't already).

Rant over ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I must admit Jezza did say one thing that rang true..

Renault have killed the hot hatch in the clio, no denying that..
It's one ugly car for a start and compared to the toys and luxuries in the 182, it's way overpriced imvho, and it lacks the oomph the williams, ff 172 / 172 cup / ff 182 cup/trophy have.

He did make a true point though, they have stopped making cars straight out of the box, they stopped making the valver because insurance was so high, so they made the RSi, still nippy but not as wallet mad.

The 5 monaco had leathers, but the so-called top-of-the-range now 197 doesn't as standard?..

People who buy it are being raped by renault tbh.
My personal guess is either they change or the clio will die a horrible death (if it hasn't already).

Rant over ;)

Didn't the 182 RRP at £15k ???

When the 197 is readily available at low prices.. Let's face it, they can't keep it at a higher price than the Megane 225 for long, I will consider one for my project.

Megane Mk4
cliokhunt said:
Didn't the 182 RRP at £15k ???

True, retail it was, but I don't know ANYONE that paid book price for theirs and if they did..
Must be either nuts or owned! :lolup: pmsl

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I had my ff 182 on f+f.
I kept it for a year and sold it for a 200 quid profit.
At least one of us made something out of a car as very few do

ian

133/225/CLS AMG
I think Clarkson is quality but I do take his opinions very lightly.

When he reviewed the 182 he mocked it then praised it. Sometimes it makes you wonder if he's totally detatched from what normal cars are about bearing in mind he drives the worlds best cars and owns a handful of them as well.

Doesn't help that he changes his mind like most people change their pants. lol :D

Just had a good read as well and to be honest either he's getting old or he's not getting the whole idea of hot hatches.
He's asking for more luxury??? Hang on a minute, its a cheap(ish) hot hatch thats all about the performance!! If you want luxury and extra comfort go for a standard but high spec Clio not the RS.

Oh well its his opinion, just coz he gets to write and people pay him for it, doesn't make him right hahaha

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
I think Clarkson is quality but I do take his opinions very lightly.

When he reviewed the 182 he mocked it then praised it. Sometimes it makes you wonder if he's totally detatched from what normal cars are about bearing in mind he drives the worlds best cars and owns a handful of them as well.

Doesn't help that he changes his mind like most people change their pants. lol :D

He always mixes up his reviews. It's for good entertainment really..

M5, he went on about how good M5s are, then slated the "400bhp V10" for 5 minutes, and then had a little sexy wee in his pants about the car in P500 mode.

Clio, mocked and mocked for entertainment (carpet you wouldn't find in a student bedsit made me laugh) and then said it is a great fun little car.

Some cars though he does just praise, these are usually the ones without much time in the spotlight, or just pure icons of the decade.

133/225/CLS AMG
I found the whole Top Gear thing about the Astra VXR/Golf GTi/Megane 225 Cup a bit of a let down.
He went on about how good the Golf is, which I'm sure it is. Said all sorts about the Astra then the Megane hardly got a mention!?!?! Then right at the end said that it drag the Astra was first, Golf was last but the Megane was quickest round the track. That got the briefest mention and that was it.

I guess it is all for entertainment but sometimes it wouldn't do any harm for him to come back down to earth, perhaps they need a 4th presenter on Top Gear but one that doesn't have the bank balance of the rest of em!?!?!?

cliosport strikes again! most 1*2 overs have slated the 197 since its release. now they all call clarkson a t**t for doing the same thing. lol!

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
rich[182];2159057 said:
LOL what a c**k
Page 1 of the review is irrelevant to the car in question, simply journalistic bollox
Page 2 tells the prospective buyer absolutely f****ll about the car anyway
It's clear he's got a downer on Renault and hot hatches
Could have got a kid of the street and paid him a fiver to write the same crap
Laughable

Not really if you watch his video on the clio 182.

R

rich[182]

cliosport strikes again! most 1*2 overs have slated the 197 since its release. now they all call clarkson a tw*t for doing the same thing. lol!

You've missed the point though

Whilst I personally don't like the 197 I don't write full side of A4 full of meaningless irrelevant bollox that has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to the topic, ie the 197

Clarkson's comments aren't a review at all, it's a page of crap and the odd relevant comment on page 2, Also it's clear to me he has a problem with Renault and hot hatches so can hardly form a subjective opinion on the 197, It's like asking a stage critic to review the new Rambo film, the result is a foregone conclusion, as is his obsession of anything metal with a Golf badge on it

His 182 top gear video review was marginally better

cliosport strikes again! most 1*2 overs have slated the 197 since its release. now they all call clarkson a tw*t for doing the same thing. lol!

No. Clarkson is just a t**t, end of ;)

Personally I could'nt give a monkeys what he says about the 197

tiTTy & SV650
lol a good read, cheers. Clarkson's funny as fcuk, he wants to get peoples backs up and has once again succeeded. suckers

he gave the 182 a good review though, slagged build quality etc but loved it.

R

rich[182]

Yeh, suppose you could say we are all suckers lol

But when you point out that he sets out to do this then that just supports my opinion that he his indeed a first class arrogant c**k, anyone in the public eye that has his audience numbers that goes out to wind people up (cos he can) is a c**k, end of.