ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cisco Phones

Mondeo STTDCI
Basically a friends workplace has had Cisco phones installed throughout. All very gucci, voice directories etc.

How easy is it for someone somewhere to monitor conversations etc? He works in a confidential environment.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
It wouldn't be simple if they have implemented all the right precautions like seperate I.p ranges, access lists and native vlans.

Mondeo STTDCI
I'm not talking someone unauthorised to do so "hacking" in, I'm talking about someone who would have full authorisation from the employer to monitor conversations.

I assume it would be relatively easy?

Fiesta ST
You can get many third party appliances that just sit between your ISDN lines and PBX that can record all calls going in and out, I've installed a few.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Someone who's authorised may be able to capture packets then replay them at a later date with the right software.

I've never seen it done or done it myself but it's plausible.

Clio 197 FF
Possible to capture and replay the packets in Wireshark or Observer network monitoring tools, done it myself at uni, its quite simple.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Capturing packets in Wireshark is not going to give away anything regarding the contents of the call. Your conversations aren't transmitted over the network as plain text you know. ;)
That said, if the packets could be captured it must be possible to piece them back together somehow, even if it means replaying them across the wire to a target handset.

If it's a VOIP system they've had installed, they'll need something like Cisco VOIP Monitor Server or the one from NetIQ (forgot it's name). These are probably your best option.
Cisco Desktop Administrator can also record calls, should you wish to use that instead.

SLK 350
The very simple answer to your question is:

VERY EASILY.

The Mitel equipment we specced at work [also went to Cisco as they were also a front-runner, until we saw their horrible software] can monitor anyone with an ACD aware phone, but not Hot Desk/Teleworker handsets.

If you're not sure, assume your calls are logged and can be listened to.

Not a 320d
Capturing packets in Wireshark is not going to give away anything regarding the contents of the call. Your conversations aren't transmitted over the network as plain text you know. ;)
That said, if the packets could be captured it must be possible to piece them back together somehow, even if it means replaying them across the wire to a target handset.

If it's a VOIP system they've had installed, they'll need something like Cisco VOIP Monitor Server or the one from NetIQ (forgot it's name). These are probably your best option.
Cisco Desktop Administrator can also record calls, should you wish to use that instead.

Lol. imagine sifting through the sea of packets it holds !!

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
As above, it's piss easy and has varying levels of expense. A trunk side recording system would mean all your calls can be recorded on a per user license basis. Weather your phone has a license is another matter, but I'd not risk it. There's loads of different solutions to record though, we use Nortel hardware and the Nice trunkside system as well as IDVR TALC cards to monitor as well as realtime observe functions built into our CS1000

DCi
we have a calllogger pc

it's ancient and slow, doesn't log calls, just who you are ringing, when and how long for etc.

we always get managers ringing up going can you check ext **** for this day and tell me what calls were made lol

not cisco but similar stuff in our place.

Megane 230 F1
Basically a friends workplace has had Cisco phones installed throughout. All very gucci, voice directories etc.

How easy is it for someone somewhere to monitor conversations etc? He works in a confidential environment.

Quite an odd question to ask really.. and then tag on the end about the confidential environment.

As has been pointed out already - a VoIP can be monitored one of two ways - either through a SPAN port on the switch of one of the phones or through a dedicated monitoring system.

In VoIP the PBX (Call Manager for Cisco) is only there to tell the phones what to do and setup the call - the voice stream (RTP) goes directly from one phone to another. CallManager has no knowledge of the actual call-content, only the source/destination/ext.mobility etc.

If it's a 'confidential environment' then they would/should have implemented SRTP (secure RTP) which means the voice is encrypted between endpoints. As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to monitor SRTP as the encryption is negotiated only between the endpoints.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Having administered cisco phones a lot, the simple answer is very easily if it's an authorised person..

The phones have an inbuilt switch (to allow you to connect your computer to the phone) and it tags all voip frames onto their own vlan.

Forget all your packet capture jokers on here.. good luck with that.