ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Circlip welding

Clio 182
After a lot of hassle with the circlip iv decided to replace it and weld it in place. What my mate wants to know is what material is he welding with ie casing circlip and the slit where it goes into. Thanks guys

Clio 182
e7uqamuv.jpg

you got to drill and tap the holes?

Yep i stuffed a rag all the way round between the diff and box casing and stuck a big mother of a magnet in the hole where the shaft goes..

Only way i could stop the swarf dropping in the box lol, had the box out which made it easier but have done it in situ (never again)

clio 172 phs 1
If I knew the hassle that came with this car I'd avoid it

Cars are great when their going mate......when they break down its a pain in the ass!!!!

How many times has the circlip popped out? I always thought it was wheel spinning that caused it to jump out

Clio 182
3 times its been. First time the washer totally snapped the other 2 I was turning think the other 2 times was because the washer wasn't in ill try it without welding it so that I can take it to a garage and get it replaced with something more reliable

Clio 182
Total pain in the back side. Pulled out a junction then it just revved like mad with the speedo shooting up.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I have seen these on ebay but im wondering what actually holds it in place do holes need to be drilled into the box and then have it screwed in ?

Clip.gif

I'v got one of these rings to fit, is the diff no bigger than the hole in the casing as I don't want to end up drilling through the casing into it.

I have seen these on ebay but im wondering what actually holds it in place do holes need to be drilled into the box and then have it screwed in ?

Clip.gif

To answer your question, yes the gearbox casing needs to be drilled and tapped to fit the ring, it replaces the circlip completely.

Collar of the ring doesn't sit flush to the casing with mine (8 bolt GT performance version) unless the circlip is removed. I noticed with the thrust washer removed that the diff is the same size as the hole in the casing, so no need to worry about drilling into the diff.

Clio 182
Well fitted the new washer and clip all feels good so fingers crossed it last. There was no welding done lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Could always fit a quaiffe, that solves the problem too :)

Bit of a pricey solution, but it massively improves the handling too.