ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chris' 106 GTI project.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
So yes...... With wanting a little run around to tide me over until the Petrol Blue is back up and running. Was on the look out for something cheap, quick, and something i could either break for parts or sell on easily when the time came. This popped up on Thursday for £900 with a bit of haggling i got the guy down to £775 and picked it up this morning.

24518285764_f81aa58911_z.jpg

24518284794_166673b365_z.jpg

24518283874_ab7b92c0be_z.jpg

24522108683_ed30415b4f_z.jpg

It certainly isn't the tidiest thing in the world but shes a good'un. The guy before me had spent thousands and thousands on it. The engine bay had every piece of Spec-R chrome plate they did for the 106 gti, he used to take it all over Europe as there show car. Won loads of trophy's back in the day and a couple of magazine shoots. The mileage is 170k! hence being taken all over Europe but its as tight as a drum mechanically. It just sailed through its MOT with 1 advisory............ Was defiantly a friendly mechanic. More on that later !

So once i got it home i set about putting the leather rear bench back in and taking out what was left of the Spec-R stuff out of the engine bay. He included loads of spares for it including; the quicksilver bench it came with, the cat too pass MOT's, new spark plugs, new wiper blades, a new fog light, new wing mirror, the full set of Spec-R bits, and another set of HID bulbs. Started off with removing the engine bay bling...

24522117793_14f9441676_z.jpg

24518617614_6701990274_z.jpg

The spark plug cover will be coming off once iv found something to replace it with. The catch tank il keep and also what i think is the gearbox fluid reservoir ?

Now i know what your asking yourself... 'What are those red lights on the rocker cover?'' Well hold on to your hats people......

25122617056_191faa3bab_z.jpg

OH YES !!!!!!! And there staying ;)

So once that was all done i turned my attention to getting the quicksilver bench out, removing all the old audio housing bits and its wiring. Got the boot floor up then tidied all the cables away under the rear bench.

25122614386_e0a9600cbf_z.jpg

25148968895_bbe6f876ba_z.jpg

Dont have a photo of the leather rear bench in place sadly.

Now on to the bad bits....... Il start with the photos of what iv got too start with then try and explain the very very worst most dangerous aspect of the car !!!

24522107353_2fe3d34dd8_z.jpg

The sate of the roofs paint. And yes that is bathroom sealant round the sunroof. Too be fair it is water tight.....

24781255939_3e51be0f8b_z.jpg

Nicely etched into the paint.

And so the dangerous part.... When cornering you can turn the wheel and will feel a bit of a resistance that feels like the car is turning in quite nicely, until you realize your heading straight on in to a bush. You can correct it and then it really grips and spits you out all over the place. The suspension is like jelly so the front scrubs on everything. The slightest bump smashes the car into the bump stops, now combine all three of those and the car is scary. Im sure il get used to the dire steering feel after a few more brown trousers but the suspension has got to go. Will be on the look out for standard and also some standard Raptor alloys to replace those Lenzos'.

Thanks for taking the time too read. Il be updating this as and when anything happens.

Chris.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mmm looks a bit ropey tbh mate. I'm sure by the time you have put your stamp on it, it will be spot on.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Maybe i should of named the thread Chris' shed instead of calling it a project !

Absolutely no intention of getting this to any level other than the state its in now.

Its only a run around to keep me happy till the clios back on the road. The only money being spent on it will be to sort the suspension out/back to standard and hoping i can flog the wheels on and get the standard raptors back on.

And no Rot at all by the looks of it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Maybe i should of named the thread Chris' shed instead of calling it a project !

Absolutely no intention of getting this to any level other than the state its in now.

Its only a run around to keep me happy till the clios back on the road. The only money being spent on it will be to sort the suspension out/back to standard and hoping i can flog the wheels on and get the standard raptors back on.

And no Rot at all by the looks of it.

Sorry mate I wasn't being an ass. All the best with the project

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Really want a 106 gti as a second/project car but never found one cheap enough.

Will look tons better with some raptors. Needs a pugsport!

330i. E30 Touring.
Epic little shed mate.

Needs:

-different wheels
4-2-1 mani
Decat
Pugsport
Induction kit

Bilsteins & front springs.

POW. Epic little bus.

330i. E30 Touring.
^ or it's been sorted before.

Best part about these is how cheap spares are. Ball joints, drop links and track rods are about £28 for a full set.

330i. E30 Touring.
With the above done how does it go then. Similar to a 172?
Yep, people will argue about it all day long, but a healthy 106 with those mods will easily keep up with a 172.

120bhp book figure, but same as all performance Peugeots of that time, they often put out more, and they react very well to breathing mods. Would likely be 135-145bhp on those. Stick some cams in (£200 second hand and easy to fit) and you're at 155bhp or so.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Epic little shed mate.

Needs:

-different wheels
4-2-1 mani
Decat
Pugsport
Induction kit

Bilsteins & front springs.

POW. Epic little bus.

Raptors are turning up Thursday. The exhaust is a janspeed decat'd manifold back already. Its very tinny and loud. Pops and bangs aplenty :) Il get a video tonight.

Want to get a cheap manifold ? Any recommendations ?

The car is obviously f*cked lol.
As Mike says, Bilsteins & Faulkner springs will sort it out.
Also, pull the carpet up in the boot & look in the corners where it meets the side panel.
If no rust its a rare non-rusty version lol.

It is !

Once im back form holiday and the raptors are on its going to my mates garage to sort the suspension out. When ripping out the audio housing stuff i didn't notice any rust at all but really wasn't looking for it.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Raceland mani's come up often from about £100 mate.

They are cracking cars for the money, few niggles and they really come alive. My VTS currently has the following;
Super sprint 421
Supersprint catback
Green cotton filter (standard airbox)
Faulkner 155's and B8's
Rear Gaz gold dampers
266mm brake setup
Stripped, buckets

The character has completely changed from standard. It's far 'nippier', handles much better and soon to see the stopping power of my new brakes!

Megane 250
My 106 GTi track car has a jp4s with catcam 705s very little in it compared to my 182.

GTi is much more fun to drive and takes abuse so well, handles awesome too.

I genuinely think for how old they are they look awesome too.

People are fast to slate the rust and axle issues, but for £300 that can be sorted easily and they can be reliable cars.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Yep, people will argue about it all day long, but a healthy 106 with those mods will easily keep up with a 172.

120bhp book figure, but same as all performance Peugeots of that time, they often put out more, and they react very well to breathing mods. Would likely be 135-145bhp on those. Stick some cams in (£200 second hand and easy to fit) and you're at 155bhp or so.

Handles brilliantly. Just not in your hands.

Remind me, what did yours look like post its rendezvous with a tree 😂

Skoda Fabia VRS
A little kind on the power, but not far off, the majority of ITB'd cars make around 155-160 without headwork. But still, with 140bhp (roughly) and weighing around 900 with a few bits dropped they go well.
Mines just shy of 860kg's, hoping by Summer time I'll have a nice 150bhp lump to play with and possibly lose a few KG's here and there. It'll be a nice power to weight advantage over a few bigger cars.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Them wheels are so much better! Really want one of these to mess around in.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Small update.

Car will be going into the garage April 1st to try and sort the steering out and also to fit a set of new Nankang NS2-R shoes.

Tried yesterday to sort the radio out but the wires are completely shagged and spliced into i don't know what so will just be blanking the hole :)

Heres a photo from when i broke down a couple of weekends ago !

25550626362_72a7eaee1b_z.jpg