ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chips away....

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
after my little mishap yesturday i now need my front bumper and bonnet looked at...am thinking about chips away..

they could sort out the scuffs but when i said about the stone chips he said they just used a brush..

anybody used them for anything..please

cheers neil

Cam

182 Cup
A few people have said they are good, a few people said they are bad. They also said it depends on the person you call out. Try searching the word chipsaway on the forum, see what you find.

Chocolate Bar™
yeah - best of ringing up your local person. he'll come round and give you a free no-obligation quote, and you can also use it to judge whether you could trust them with your car.

ive used them (stoke area) and ive been very impressed by the quality of the work. i dont think they're cheap for small jobs, however for larger jobs they become more reasonable - say youve got a tonne of stonechips for example.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I called chipsaway a couple of weeks ago . He came to look at the scuff on my front bumper then quoted me £70 . Then i said what about these other little chips and he didn't add anymore onto the price . I think £70 is the standard call out price .
I sold the car the day before he was due to come and do the work so i can't comment on the quality .
Apparently iceberg silver is a b*stard colour to match .

MrBillyUK !

Chocolate Bar™
i was told that silver itself was an arse of a job to do.

i was quoted 40ish to do a tonne of stonechips, and then 35ish to refurb one of my wheels. normally if hes guaranteed a job, its not going to cost him much to do extra bits - hence the cheapest for larger jobs :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
well i spoke to 2 chips away people..one was a travelling bloke...(mobile unit) and he said as he was so far away he wouldn't be able to come and give me a quote but said from the description i gave him it would be about £150....(but as said above he said he would use a paintbrush for the stonechips)

i then visited a chips away branch..and they looked over the car and quoted me £230.00 to do part of the bonnet and front bumper

dunno what to do now..may speak to a bodyshop to..

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Freebone said:
well i spoke to 2 chips away people..one was a travelling bloke...(mobile unit) and he said as he was so far away he wouldn't be able to come and give me a quote but said from the description i gave him it would be about £150....(but as said above he said he would use a paintbrush for the stonechips)

i then visited a chips away branch..and they looked over the car and quoted me £230.00 to do part of the bonnet and front bumper

dunno what to do now..may speak to a bodyshop to..

Somebody posted a link to this site about chips and scratches . Might be of some use to you ??

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=27

MrBillyUK !

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I saw a Chips Away guy in Halfords Winchester last sunday, and i wasn't very impressed with him, he said that he couldn't fix my dent in one of my doors and that if i wanted wheel refurbs then i'd have to wait untill at least may.

106 GTi
As others have said, dependng on your local guy it could end up looking worse than it does. You need to see there work, and ask around locally and get soem feed back.

For the stone chips, if they are using a paint brush they will be doing what is described in that link above.

Maz

LY 200
I have used chips away on my alloy (twice) and bumper .. like said all depends on the guy doing the work ...

I have a number for a guy in my area if you need it mate ??

Maz :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
heres some of the marks on the front bumper...all the other bits are stone chips.....

100_1819.gif

Maz

LY 200
Chips away could sort that for you no problem mate ..

Soneone opened their car door into my bumper .. got the chip man out .. £60 cracking job .. only problem is if you knock the paint afterwards it crumples .. lol (please don't ask ... )

Maz :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
r-jay said:
Hard to tell from the pics, what size is the damage in length and height?

the top one is about 5cm's in lenght and the bottom bout 3cm..both bout 5mm high...

maz i know they could sort that but i have quite a few stone chips on the front bumper...i also have quite a few chips on the bonnet..so am wondering whether its worth what they charge or just go to a bodyshop..

Tesla MP3 2021
yeah i would recommend chiops away...
i used the same guy as mazx for my wheel....
brilliant job..:):)

106 GTi
Freebone said:
the top one is about 5cm's in lenght and the bottom bout 3cm..both bout 5mm high...

maz i know they could sort that but i have quite a few stone chips on the front bumper...i also have quite a few chips on the bonnet..so am wondering whether its worth what they charge or just go to a bodyshop..

Both could be tidied up with touch up paint and wet sanding to improve on, but would be hard to make perfect.

If that's the case I would be tempted to get it all painted, as I doubt there will be that much difference in price.

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
one of my mate's is chips away, its a franchise so depends greatly on who you get, but hes done dents and chips in my poor clio (i've hit parked cars, moving cars, large birds and lorries!!) and sprayed my Z2 mirrors, all spot on!! if your near sheffield can give u his number.