ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Check Emissions light 197 after cambelt change

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
The "check emissions" light came on in my 197 the day after having my cam belts done, could this be related.

What other things might cause the light to come on? (Engine management light- "Check Emissions")

The car seems to run fine, no miss-firing or juddering.

There was a strange quite loud squeaking noise this morning, but I put that down to cold start, being -10 C and that it went away once warm.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It could be a leaky exhaust, poor cat performance, faulty Ho2, CTS, incorrect timing or, in the case of a 2.0 206, hydraulic lifters (ghey JW10 engine).

Who did the belt change? Id be taking it back but be nice... it isnt necesarily there fault.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
Thanks for the info, I'll drop him a line as you said.

I wont say who it was as it may be nothing to do with the work carried out.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Indeed and thats you being very fair and sensible I think - People are fairly fast to act aggressively without thinking as sometimes things just go wrong thru no fault of anyone in particular. Obviously if it is timing related it needs to be looked at and resolved ASAP but I personally think it'll be a sensor playing silly buggers and the timing is just purely coincidental.

I had one customer refuse to pay part of my bill when fitting a new EGR valve and position sensor assembly to his 1.5DCi Clio II which remained faulty after being cleaned. He was bad mouthing me as apparently I was "making up work that wasn't required" and he didn't see why he should pay a diagnostic fee to "adapt" the new valve position sensor to his car. I called Renault Technical Services and they explained the situation to him on my phone but he thought it was a massive con and so took it to our local Renault franchise... who charged him a further £110 to check my installation and adapt the unit (and he argued over my £25). The car still comes back for servicing now though but it got to me a bit and I'm a little prickly with him as I hate being called a liar or find out people claim I make up fictional work as I genuinely give a damn about my reputation and the work I do.