ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

changing springs = whell alignment????

hey guys

got a qick question, 2 infact

1st - once ive changed my springs will i have to do a wheel alignment?

2nd - the bolt on my top mount for my front shock is reall stuck and i aint got a compact gun to loosen it, any ideas?

ASAP response would really be appreciated as im busy doing it now, and just heard about having to redo my alignment ( never even thought of that)

cheers;)

172 Race Car
1, yes advisable, tracking/toe

2, get a local garage to loosen it with a gun for you for a few zl

nice nice ... got another question

when i was trying to loosen the nut on the top mount, i was turning it with quite a force and the spanner turned 180 degrees, however the nut didnt bugde, i heard a dry squeak and when i looked into the wheel arch i saw that the arch was filled with a light white mist .... surely that cant be good right? know what happened?

(im thinking i twisted the top half of the shock absorber and it spilt some gas, thats if they are gas shock, however aint really clued on this topic so could be on the wrong track)

a black one
1) wheel alignment should not be effected.

2) have you tried a swan neck ring spanner and an allen key? That should do the trick.

Da

Less
Wheel alignment shouldn't be affected. I changed my springs twice over the course of a couple of months then took it in for checking. It was still millimetre accurate and required no adjustments.

1) wheel alignment should not be effected.

2) have you tried a swan neck ring spanner and an allen key? That should do the trick.

no i aint mate, but the problem is that i cant get the nut loose, under a fair amount of pressure i can turn the spanner 180 degrees but the nut dont budge ... think a gun is the only way. even tried knocking it a few time with a hammer and chizzel to try losen the nut a bit (shock it)

ok well that sounds good regarding the wheel allignment, but still a bit of a debatable topic i guess, as some people say yes and some say no :dead:

Think youve edited your post now, But a swan neck spanner is:

c27d_2.jpg

The hole in the top will allow you to use the spanner whilst getting an allen key in the nut, And you can turn the spanner against the allen key.

Try WD40'ing it and leave it over night, If not go to a friendly garage and ask them to air gun it off, Then tighten it back on by hand.

When i changed the springs on mine, both top mounts were rusted solid on. Swan neck spanner and a allen key is what you need and lots of wd40 soaking. They didn't bugde so we chiselled off the nylock on both. One freed the other didn't, went to a mates garage and loosened this up with a air gun and replaced both top mounts.

Camber will be out ever so slightly on the wheels and will need checking.