ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing Rear Discs and Pads

Liquid Yellow 182
Ive just had a service on my 182 and Renault have said i need to replace my front and rear discs and pads. Fronts arnt a problem as ive already got uprated parts ready to go on (which a couple of my mates are fitting). What i wanted to know was if changing rear discs and pads is a DIY job or if you need any special equipment for it (heard on the grapevine that 172 needed to have the bearings taken out with a press). Also if a DIY job isnt possible do i need a specific type of discs and pads to go on there or will anything be ok?? the reason i ask is cause Renault want £320 to change them and i dont really want to pay that so i was going to try an independant garage.

Thanks

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It#s a peice of piss to do if you've got discs with bearing allready pressed in, otherwise you need a massive press and have to try to remove the old one without breaking them.

Lots of Alfas
Renault sell the discs with bearings already in them, they are about £180 for the pair, or gsf sell the Renault items for about £150. They are easy to fit, you just need a 30mm socket to take the hub nut off. Its also recomended to replace the nuts at the same time.

320d
Just buy them new from gsfcarparts .com or .co.uk you'll get 10% discount by mentioning club membership plus you can collect them locally to avoid postage.

They'll come with the barings in them

New rear pads are only about £15

Liquid Yellow 182
thanks for the help

im gonna get a mate to check i actually do need rear discs as the car is only 2 1/2 years old and done 24000miles so i would have expected them to last abit longer than that

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
I have read in a couple of threads that a G clamp makes it a lot easier to change the front pads. I have no experience of doing my own work on cars, but as i realise they mug you off at main dealers, and all i need is the rear pads changing, i want to start!
So i assume the rear pads are the same as the front pads, i.e. i will need a G clamp for that too?...
Thanks!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
I have read in a couple of threads that a G clamp makes it a lot easier to change the front pads. I have no experience of doing my own work on cars, but as i realise they mug you off at main dealers, and all i need is the rear pads changing, i want to start!
So i assume the rear pads are the same as the front pads, i.e. i will need a G clamp for that too?...
Thanks!

no,

i presume there using G clamps to push the piston back in?

on the rear you "wind" the piston back in with a flat blade rather than pushing it

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Thanks!

also i never use a G Clamp for forcing the piston back in, when the top section of the calliper is undone (13mm bolts)

force the back of it against the disk (with the olds pads still in) to push the piston back.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
i never have done, would that draw air into the system?, i ALWAYS re bleed after fitting pads btw

Ph2 172 Cup
Yes, removing the filler cap should relieve some the pressure as you push the piston back in. You need to watch for the reservoir overflowing, although chances are it won't unless you're doing all 4 pads.

I'd also recommend pressing it back in with a G clamp onto the old pads (or disc) rather than pushing directly on the piston itself.

i never have done, would that draw air into the system?, i ALWAYS re bleed after fitting pads btw

I think I need to bleed. Ill do that soon. I doubt it would introduce air though. But if your winding back the piston id be worried it would cause unnessasary pressure.

Ph2 172 Cup
It won't introduce air into the system (unless you've got a leak somewhere - which is clearly a whole other problem). Although it takes a hearty shove we're not talking about massive pressures here - not compared to you stamping on the brake pedal!

Bleeding the brakes is a sensible thing to do if it's not been done for a while, not strictly necessary as a direct result of a pad/disc change, but hey - safety first.

No I did think that, the only reason I said the above was because your forcing the flow the other way. probably doesnt mean s**t though lol!