ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing *only* the Dephaser? (the belt etc is fairly new)

2004 ph2 172
Hi all.

A couple of thousand miles back I had my cambelt changed. It's still relatively new, as is the tensioner and all other pulleys etc that were changed at the same time.... but the Dephaser has started the familiar knocking that we all know and love. :dapprove:

Is it possible to change the dephaser wheel without dropping the engine or going too deep?

I understand that I'll need cam-wheel and camshaft locking tools, as well as the crank locking pin, but I'm having trouble working out which are the "real" renault ones. Has anyone got a link to ebay or somewhere else that sells them?

I know that the preferred way of getting the job done is to go to a trusted and proven dephaser wizard, but the local Renault dealer swears blind that my 2001 Ph1 172 sport hasn't got a dephaser at all... and also swears that they never changed its cambelt... even though I saw them do the sodding job... so no faith there. :mad:

All the best from Sweden

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I asked that same question when i found that mine had died. But the garage refused to replace without doing the belts aswell as i had oil leak onto the belts.

I suppose if they are in as new condition you may be able to convince someone to put them back on after? BUT THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. its best not to re tension a belt

You don't need to drop the engine to change the dephaser, and yes you could just have this changed if you could find someone to do it but you really may as well change the lot.

I suppose you could get away with leaving the tensioner and idlers as they are just a few thousand miles old and just change the belt.

You will need new cam caps, and should also change cam seals, particularly as you will be changing the dephaser pulley.

2004 ph2 172
You don't need to drop the engine to change the dephaser, and yes you could just have this changed if you could find someone to do it but you really may as well change the lot.

I suppose you could get away with leaving the tensioner and idlers as they are just a few thousand miles old and just change the belt.

You will need new cam caps, and should also change cam seals, particularly as you will be changing the dephaser pulley.

Fair play... I think I'll give "just the belt" a go... as I'll be doing the job myself. Cam seals seems like a smart plan too. Thanks for the tip!

Is there a step-by step anywhere with the part numbers available?

cheers

/Nick