ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing oil filter with JMS RS2 Intake Installed

03 clio sport asc
Hey Guys

Be honest how hard is it to change the oil filter after installing the JMS RS2 Kit ? Cant be done from the top any more can it?

Someone said it can be done from underneath? has any one changed there filter this way? is it really possible ?

I was going to get a relocation kit but that seems like a major disaster!

Thoughts

330i. E30 Touring.
You could probably get in from the air filter side if you remove the filter and the length of silicone pipe?

Worst case, you'll have to loosen the top of the grille, whip the slam panel top bolts out to give you enough of a gap.

Thinner your arms, the better though i'd say..

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I asked chip the same question at CSS. He said the easiest way was to whip the front bumper off.

I did have the same idea about a remote filter system, not entirely sure where I would mount it though as there is not much room in the bay.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I did it last week.

You can get it from the top but its bloody tricky!

-Remove the filter/silicone/throttle body. I didn't bother removing the TB but it would've made it easier.
-Unplug the TB sensor, the sensor on the underside of the carbon plenum, and move that section of the loom out of the way.
-Use a pair of filter grippers to get the initial run on the filter (you may need to use a rod to lever the plastic loom carrier out of the way a millimetres to make room for the gripper handles.
- finish unscrewing the filter with a chain wrench.

Thats what I did anyway. You may want to wait til the engine has cooled down also, I kept burning my hand on the water pump!

03 clio sport asc
still think I would like a remote oil filter kit. Does any one know of the parts / size needed? I've been told it just has to be M20 Compatible, does that sound right?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Seems overkill to remote the filter just for the sake of making it easier to change the filter TBH
Ive not done it on an F4R but have worked on other cars with them and ultimately its not a difficult thing to do but avoid very long pipes and different height filter location as obviously during the time its filling the pipes if they have emptied before you start the engine then you dont have oil pressure till it has done so.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks chip, good things to think about.
Mostly it is because it makes the filter easier to change, but it would also enable a bigger filter to be fitted to spread the heat over a larger volume of oil (for the occasional trackday)
How do you change the oilfilter on your RS2's car?
Does a plate exist the turn the filter 90 degrees so it would be parallel to the block?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks chip, good things to think about.
Mostly it is because it makes the filter easier to change, but it would also enable a bigger filter to be fitted to spread the heat over a larger volume of oil (for the occasional trackday)
How do you change the oilfilter on your RS2's car?
Does a plate exist the turn the filter 90 degrees so it would be parallel to the block?

I dont think a larger filter is the way to go to increase volume and I dont think it would cool much.
Look at an accusump setup if you want an increase in oil volume that also has the added benefit of surge protection, not generally needed on a clio though.
I change it by whipping off the bumper and slam panel and gaining access that way.
Im not aware of an F4R specific plate to rotate it like that, but you could start with a remote filter head and make one.
Again though, lot of hassle just to avoid taking the bumper off, surely a better option is just to not put the bolts back in the front bumper so it can be taken on and off in a few seconds? (for phase 2, doesnt work as easily on a phase 1)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
The catches on bumpers hold it well enough not to need the bolts in imo as chip says, although even one bolt either side for peace of mind will be easy to get too.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Yep, and imo I wouldn't say it was worth having rubbish looking pins on the bumpers for the sake of a few extra minutes of getting it off for an oil change.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yep, and imo I wouldn't say it was worth having rubbish looking pins on the bumpers for the sake of a few extra minutes of getting it off for an oil change.

Agreed, plus the two main bolts on the phase 1 bumper are a piece of cake to get to anyway so not even a drama getting it off.

BG V6 IL V6 172cup
On mine I can change the filter from the Cambelt side as i have the A/C removed and run the Pure motorsport kit. Im not sure if its the same with a cup set up on it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The pure kit gives slightly more room by locating the alternator lower IIRC, but both give better access than the aircon setup thats for sure.

SO much easy to work on the non aircon cars, but TBH not having the aircon makes them far less nice as an all rounder car.

03 clio sport asc
Ok so just an update, changing the oil with the JMS kit installed isnt really a issue, you simply remove the air filter and or throttle body, 5 mins work and a couple of bolts. There's enough room to get the old oil filter off and have some rags around it and a plastic bag, I did it and didnt even drop a drop or oil. Well no more the usual really. More of a pain to regularly check the dip stick as i always cut my arm reaching in for it!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm left handed so can't do it that side, lol.
Good tip on removing the throttle though, would certainly help if going from that side :)

yeah the dipstick is a pain, good job the oil level can be checked daily on the dash and just occasionally on the dipstick, would hate the rs2 if there was only the stick. Lol.