ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing gear box oil...

ClioSport 172
Is it hard to do? Was going to do it with my 36k service that my mates are doing for me... but neither of them has done it on a clio before!

Is it a pain or ok? I personally know s**t all! lol

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
wouldnt really bother matey, more hassle than its worth.

drain plug on bottom of box then u refil on a screw plug on the front of the box, u will need a pump 2 pump the new fluid in 2.

gearbox oil isnt worth changing unless ur doin a clutch or ur car has done like 100k

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Have heard that too, as the gearbox is not in line of the same sort of contamination as the engine in theory it should last alot longer.. In "theory" lol

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Is it hard to do? Was going to do it with my 36k service that my mates are doing for me... but neither of them has done it on a clio before!

Is it a pain or ok? I personally know s**t all! lol

Dont forget the Aux Belt !! (make sure it gets done properly)

As for the GBox oil, not too hard to do, just fidly. But no real need to change it.

Recaro'd 182
i changed mine the other week for some castrol stuff 75w 80w and it soo much smoother changing gear now. I had to use a flexible funnel and remove the air box to fill it though but u can remove that as it draining out. quick and easy job too.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Gearbox oil is 100% worth doing imo. Should be on the service schedule every 36k imo.

Agree. There are some technical reports on the web about it.

Dead easy to do, but the oil stinks of sulphur. Just buy a funnel, get a length of hose pipe and a samll piece of smaller pipe to go in the box. A 172 takes 3.1 litres.

ClioSport 172
So you reckon I should?

Doing the aux belt, the same time as the cam belt, saves ££ on labour, thats scheduled for Jan at 5 years!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
So you reckon I should?

Doing the aux belt, the same time as the cam belt, saves ££ on labour, thats scheduled for Jan at 5 years!

Might as well !!

The aux belt should have already been done if its 5 years!

If they let go, they cause big problems as they take everythign with it.

And wudnt leave the cambelt too long, the RS models shud be done in advance! Renault recomendations are waaay too long.

Volvo S60 T5
I change the gearbox oil every 72000 miles, if your doing it yourself machine mart supply a syringe that holds 1/2 ltr for around £10 well worth it IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
  BMW M135i
So you reckon I should?

Might as well !!

The aux belt should have already been done if its 5 years!

If they let go, they cause big problems as they take everythign with it.

And wudnt leave the cambelt too long, the RS models shud be done in advance! Renault recomendations are waaay too long.

Aux belt will be fine as long as it hasn't done over 36k already. I'll echo the 5yr thing though, i'd be getting it done at 4.5 years max.

ClioSport 172
Renault said 62k or 5 years for both belts... my car will be 5 in Jan & prob done 36k by then... garage just said do them both at the same time. Seems logical to me! But they said do my own service whenever really so doing that next week...

So the majority rules I should do gearbox oil?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just do it, doesn't cost a lot, and mine feels better after doing it at 13k and 3 years.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Which Oil is best for the gearbox? Going to do mine too :) I like the idea of smooth gear changes