ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing cars.. What to get?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Right soooo...

Got the 172 MOT'd on sat and taxed the week before and the belts were done around 8k ago so i figured if i'm going to sell it then now is the best time!

Looking to save for a house deposit and as my insurance/fuel is so high in the 172 i'm looking for a sporty/nippy diesel or a warm hatch.

I've had quick look about but i really dont know what to get, Thought about a DCI 65/80 but the only ones close enough to me are all 100k+ or too expensive.

I think i could get at the very least, £1,800 for the 172 so the 'new' car has to be at the most 3k.

So, What do you all suggest? :)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I actually like the look of some 3 series.. what like are they to insure? Reckon it will be cheaper than a 172? :p

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
yeah definitely as long as you avoid the m-sport models as they are more expensive than the ES or SE models to insure.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Why are you selling a car to save money but then spending more money on the newer car? If you just stayed as you was you'd probably save more!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
How do you mean petrol is high? Do you do alot of miles? As your probably aware 1*2's have to be one of the most reasonable hot hatches around for mpg..

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I really have no idea what i want to do.. Ideally i'd like to find a cheap diesel and keep the 172 aswell :s

Just looking for some ideas to help me make up my mind.

I've done this to try and save money a few years ago.

It didn't really work though.

Your looking to pay £1200 on top of your car which is already money out of your house deposit fund.

Warm hatch will be similar on fuel and performance diesels will be better on mpg but diesel more to buy.

If you fancy a change then go for it, otherwise I don't think it will save you a whole lot of money.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
If you rreally are serious about saving money you'll buy a 106 diesel for £500.

ph1 172
Why are you selling a car to save money but then spending more money on the newer car? If you just stayed as you was you'd probably save more!

+1

Sometimes the cheapest car to run is the one you already own. Better the devil you know & all that...

Italian 3.2 V6
Either stick with 172 or buy a uber cheap run about (less than £1k). Doing what your thinking of doing just defeats the whole object of what your wantin to achieve and just going back a step.

I'd just stick with the 172 if I were you.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
How long will it take you to save the extra spent on the car by savings on insurance, tax and fuel?

If you rreally are serious about saving money you'll buy a 106 diesel for £500.

Keep the 172 or do the above to save money.

I actually like the look of some 3 series.. what like are they to insure? Reckon it will be cheaper than a 172? :p

My 330ci was a little less to insure than my modded 172.

Listerine & Poledo
£1800 for a 172?
Maybe privately... maybe.

As said, what you'll save will be eaten by what you spend for the replacement. But, if pushed, Ibiza FR TDi or Fabia vRS. Maybe a Fiesta

Keep the 172, probably the best bang for buck performance out there. You know the car, if it's a good'un just keep it. Clearly just spent a lot on belts etc... So that's a few years major expense free motoring.

Unless you really need to get rid, in which case buy a derv 106 (as Ant points out) or 306 IMO. That 1200 extra will take years to save back.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Hm yeah i guess im probably best to keep the 172 then.. just dont know what i want to do tbh.

Ahhhh...

And crombie.. ill buy it once you turbo it :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So you're looking to lay out £1200 on top of the £1800 you'll get for your clio, in order to save money?

I'm not sure you've understood this whole saving malarky.

Nissan 350Z
I've been there and done that, trying to swap cars before they needed work, or to save money. It never ever seems to work out for the best, financially.

Long story short. If you REALLY want to save money, buy a 106D. Anything else, the savings are likely to be marginal.

Better the devil you know, too.

However, if you just want a new toy, just be honest with yourself, rather than trying to justify it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you REALLY want to save money, buy a 106D. Anything else, the savings are likely to be marginal.
if you just want a new toy, just be honest with yourself, rather than trying to justify it.

Both points well made.

Not a 1.4 Astra.

Get a 106 diesel and keep the Clio.

Funny... wanker.gif

Skoda Fabia Vrs I would suggest owned for 18 months never broke reliable and cheap on insurance, cheap to fix and nippy

But don't get one in red !!!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1344445994.530271.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1344445994.530271.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 44