ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

changing ball joints

BG 182
There not too bad to do matey. I replaced a whole wishbone the other day which I would say is slightly easier but if you've got a few tools, go for it. Any friends that can bail you out if you get stuck though?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
both front wheels off

pinch bolt out (will be a bit of a mare)

Ball joint splitter inbetween the balljoint and hub

large hammer, a few swear words and about 1-100 minutes hammering depending on how much of a mare she is.

2 18mm nut/bolts connecting ball joint to wishbone

and theyre off.

reverse the above to put them on!! (without the hammering)

Make sure you buy a hammer in ball joint splitter like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-BALL-JO...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19c69510a5
not the maggoty little screw fit ones because theyre useless!!

if youre handy with spanners and a hammer you could get both done easily in an hour!!

clio 5door sport rep
hmmm yeah im ok wouldnt say im that handy... might just put it in the garage then incase i muck it up. anyone have an idea of cost to get the garage to sort it... parts and labour? cheers

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
im saying if youre handy you could do it in an hour!!
if youre a moron with a torque wrench, then id set aside a day for it!!

either way as long as you have the sense to tighten bolts up FT (or a torque wrench) then it can be done with little or no mechanical experience!!

BG 182
Ball joints are around £15.00 each retail and labour would be looking at an hour max (around £50).