ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changed the clutch, now the steering feels a bit heavy and numb! Help?

Clio 172 Cup
Okay, so with the help of a couple of mates we finally got around to changing my clutch and failing release bearing on the weekend and since putting it back together the steering just hasn't felt the same?

It is now heavier, particularly around the centre point for about half a turn each side. It does however steer slightly easier in one direction than the other which leads me to believe it may be a problem with the tracking or possibly allignment of the subframe???:eek:

I followed the usual method of removing the nearside strut, hub and driveshaft complete, removing the bottom ball joint (where it fixes to the underside of the bottom arms) on the drivers side and moving the shaft out of the way of the box. I then removed all the relevent mounts holding the gearbox in and slightly dropped the subframe on the nearside and lossened it on the offside. All the time supporting the engine on a trolley jack and a block of wood.

Is it possible I may have bent the steering rack or damage the coupling in dropping the subframe :( ??? If so I can't understand how you are supposed to get sufficient clearence between the subframe and the inner arch to remove the box without doing so? Are you supposed to disconnect the steering coupling between the rack and the column before doing this? Could this be the problem.

Any help much appreciated guys?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I remember a similar post to yours and it turned out to have been caused by not uncoupling part of the steering rack while lowering the subframe if I remember it properly. Try a search (heavy steering, something like that).

Skoda fabia Vrs
I have the same problem on my twingo rs?? very light to the left and feels heavy to the right? any idea what it could be boys???

Clio 172 Cup
Bit of an update.......The steering has now developed a grinding and is even more notchy! To be honest I no longer think its safe to drive so I really need to get this sorted ASAP!!!

The grinding noise and feeling seems to be coming from the top of the column directly above the upper universal joint? I can only assume this is the point the column got stretched when the sub frame was lowered slightly? Is there any collapsible sections here, the sort of thing that collapses when you have an accident. Are these available anywhere? Is there any self fix method if I can get it stripped off?

Clio 172 Cup
Managed to pin this down to a damaged bearing at the top of the column where it sleeves inside the mount (around the ignition barrel, stalks, etc). A new column from Cliospares should have it sorted this weekend.