ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

change oil before or after fitting new cams and dephaser

Stealth 438'd 182
this is probably a daft question.. but i'm going to ask it anyway!

I have some new oil.. some fuchs super syn stuff as its on offer from opie oils at the moment.. new filter etc everything to do a service on it..its about due its 6-7monthly regular change..

will be getting my 438 cams fitted and mapped up at TDF in a few weeks time with new dephaser and belts at the same time as my dephaser has started to rattle its tits off

would it be best practice to change the oil now.. as tbf it 'needs it' so there is nice fresh oil when the cams go in..

or

after the cams have been fitted swap the oil then?

or the most likely answer..

Rob it really does not matter in the slightest and you're just being über anal as per usual!

53 Clio's & counting
As said, the new oil won't effect the dephaser as it will already be worn, and as you are only a few weeks away from the cams being fitted, just let TDF change the oil

Stealth 438'd 182
cheers fred :)

when you say the damage is done do you mean the dephaser? the only thing i was thinking was running the new cams on 'dirty' oil.. when i say dirty its actually pretty clean but you know what I mean

Stealth 438'd 182
yeah probably a good idea.. whilst they're there its not much effort to whip the sump plug out and chuck the new oil in :) probably me just being impatient wanting to get it done :p

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah, just leave it until Matt does the work mate, he will change the oil as running old oil with a new dephaser is a big nono

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
sorry to hijack the thread bud, but does anyone know when to change the gear box oil on a dci 80? cant find anything in my cars SH to say its been done

Stealth 438'd 182
forum

Stealth 438'd 182
joking aside... not too sure mate! might be worth making a thread in the servicing area :) i think you're good for something daft like 70k on the box oil but tbf i personally would change it periodically but thats me maybe every 20k or something?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
joking aside... not too sure mate! might be worth making a thread in the servicing area :) i think you're good for something daft like 70k on the box oil but tbf i personally would change it periodically but thats me maybe every 20k or something?

lol feww :D , yeah think i will, just thought with your thread being partly on the subject of oil, to post in here.

hope its not 70k ! mines nearly on 100k in the following weeks to come :S , think i might change it more often aswell, saves the box from damage

Audi A5
Theirs not a service interval for Renault gearbox oil changes iirc. It just a case of you change it if you want, I would do it around the 50k mark but you don't have to.

Stealth 438'd 182
haha dont worry about it pal was only joking :)

i would just change it for peace of mind specially if its done 100k.. then you know its been done and its not that hard/expensive to do but i wouldn't stress about it :)

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I do my gearbox every 10000 miles, but saying that I did do it 4 times in a month a while