ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chairs (gaming, pc use, ergo etc)

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
What chairs do people use, and more specifically those that spend plenty of time gaming at their desk?

I currently have an executive chair, but I hate it for gaming, because I'm always leaning forward, so no support at all, and the arms don't fit under the desk, so having to lean forward a lot.

Any suggestions? There's those gimmicky bucket seat "gaming" seats like DXRacer, GT Omega etc - these seems more like style over substance.

The Ikea Markus seems well regarded for a £130 chair, but it doesn't look that comfortable.

Am I best just getting a refurbished Herman Miller Aeron or Mirra? Always wanted one, just never ended up getting one... I'm not paying £1k+ for a new one. Can get them on eBay for around £300.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I have a Vertagear chair (the cheapest one they do from OCUK, was still nearly 200 quid IIRC). Previously had a Steelcase Leap. Newer chair definitely more comfortable!

The Aeron are all well and good in an office environment, but I just can't get on with the mesh backs at home

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I have a Vertagear chair (the cheapest one they do from OCUK, was still nearly 200 quid IIRC). Previously had a Steelcase Leap. Newer chair definitely more comfortable!

The Aeron are all well and good in an office environment, but I just can't get on with the mesh backs at home
You prefer the Vertagear? I thought the Steelcase Leap was supposed to be very good, intersting.

The Verta just looks like another of these racing bucket seat style chairs, maybe much like racing buckets it's about body shape and they work for some and not others? I've found reviews to be really varied.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
simrig.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've just got a £40 chair from amazon that I'm keen to upgrade. It's the cheapest single item in my setup excluding cables and fans lol.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
You prefer the Vertagear? I thought the Steelcase Leap was supposed to be very good, intersting.

The Verta just looks like another of these racing bucket seat style chairs, maybe much like racing buckets it's about body shape and they work for some and not others? I've found reviews to be really varied.
Leap was well made but I abused the f**k out of it and was constantly making creaking noises. Replacing the bits was more expensive than trying another chair.
The Vertagear doesn't hug overly, and the base of the cheapest one is mostly flat. The other two in the range are too much like a racing seat on the bottom. I find it comfortably for 12 hours+ sitting in it when I'm working/gaming

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Thinking I'm going to go with this one: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noblechairs-epic-gaming-chair-black-gold-gc-002-nc.html

Think it looks great, and crucially is PU leather not PVC, love the stitching too.

Noble_PU_Gold_00003_REND-1.jpg

I spent a long time looking at the Vertagear SL5000, it looks the f**king dogs, but the bolsters on the base are really high, and it looks like it might be a bit more style over substance. A bit cheaper than the Noble, but it's PVC.

GC005VT_114364_800x800.jpg

I also looked at the GT Omega Master XL, but the problem is it just looks a bit pants, especially in real life pictures of it, it's cheaper than the two above, but it looks cheaper too, and is a bit more shoutty gamer, whereas I'd prefer something more subtle.

GT-Omega-Master-XL-Review-8.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Am I the only one that thinks car style computer chairs look a bit naff?

Would much rather just have a high end office chair (i.e. something that's designed to be comfortable for 8 hours in a row compared to something that's designed to keep you in one place when cornering...)

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Am I the only one that thinks car style computer chairs look a bit naff?

Would much rather just have a high end office chair (i.e. something that's designed to be comfortable for 8 hours in a row compared to something that's designed to keep you in one place when cornering...)

But most office chairs aren't great for gaming in my experience because of the way you lean forward when using a mouse and keyboard for gaming. I currently have an executive chair and it's crap for gaming, because the back rest slants backwards. These gaming chairs have full angle tilt backrests so you can sit in a good upright position.

Top end office chairs like Herman Miller Aeron/Mirra etc will be great for sure, but as Cookie says, they're mesh, and they're a different type of comfort, they're not really that good for chilling in, relaxing while gaming, they don't have a headrest, they tend not to be cushioned.

A decent Aeron is well over £1k new, and is about £400+ for a refurbished one.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I'm in need of one too, quite fancy the Noble in Black and Red or maybe the proper leather one even. What is PU leather?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I'm in need of one too, quite fancy the Noble in Black and Red or maybe the proper leather one even. What is PU leather?
The difference between PU and PVC is heat and breathability, PVC will make your body get a lot hotter if you don't have a well regulated temperature in your space, PVC is more durable however, but that's negated with the Noble because they use a much thicker PU than most other companies (1.5mm rather than the usual 0.8-1.2)

The real leather is obviously great, but real leather actually tends to suffer from the same issue as PVC, in that it can get very hot and sticky.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
The difference between PU and PVC is heat and breathability, PVC will make your body get a lot hotter if you don't have a well regulated temperature in your space, PVC is more durable however, but that's negated with the Noble because they use a much thicker PU than most other companies (1.5mm rather than the usual 0.8-1.2)

The real leather is obviously great, but real leather actually tends to suffer from the same issue as PVC, in that it can get very hot and sticky.

Ta, I'm tempted to order the real leather one, I appreciate what you are saying about it getting sticky etc but it isn't that much more and I would have thought would be the most durable. Although I must admit I think the Black/Red looks better and certainly suits my office perfectly as I seem to have a lot of things that are black / red.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Nice, delivery before the weekend?

I'm going to order the black/gold one in the coming days, won't be here before Monday though I doubt; let me know how you find it.

Yeah next day delivery is the only option at £15 which I guess given size and weight is fair enough. I'll let you know when I get it tomorrow.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Got mine today, very pleased with it, quality is great and so far it seems firm but comfortable.

Red_zpsnwg605xc.jpg

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Got mine today, very pleased with it, quality is great and so far it seems firm but comfortable.

Red_zpsnwg605xc.jpg
Looks great man.

It should soften up a bit in time, but it will always be a little bit firm - firmness is actually a good thing, it helps your posture and also, seats that are too cushiony are the ones where after about 6 months it feels like you're sitting on the seat base because the cushion is as good as dead (like my current chair, that I have to have a pillow on).

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yeah my old one was comfy but I would slouch into it all the time, its not a bad thing that this one will force me to be more upright. Loving the adjustment on this, so much you can configure to just how you want.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah my old one was comfy but I would slouch into it all the time, its not a bad thing that this one will force me to be more upright. Loving the adjustment on this, so much you can configure to just how you want.
Just ordered mine in black/gold, should be here Monday, can't wait.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Got mine and love it, only slight criticism I'd have is personally I would've liked the seat base to be another inch or two longer, but maybe that would make me slouch more, who knows.

Amazing quality though, weighs a ton, which is a good sign, putting it together everything felt substantial.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yeah still love mine, today was my first full days work sitting in it and i've had no problems with it so couldn't be happier.

But most office chairs aren't great for gaming in my experience because of the way you lean forward when using a mouse and keyboard for gaming. I currently have an executive chair and it's crap for gaming, because the back rest slants backwards. These gaming chairs have full angle tilt backrests so you can sit in a good upright position.

Top end office chairs like Herman Miller Aeron/Mirra etc will be great for sure, but as Cookie says, they're mesh, and they're a different type of comfort, they're not really that good for chilling in, relaxing while gaming, they don't have a headrest, they tend not to be cushioned.

A decent Aeron is well over £1k new, and is about £400+ for a refurbished one.
Few misconceptions there

Aeron chairs tilt and lock in a forward position for keyboard and mouse use
You can have a headrest , mine matches the leather armrests i have on mine
The full speced one has fully adjustable lumbar support

The only thing you may find odd is mesh but i can assure you its way better than any exec leather chair i have ever owned and i have had mine for a fair few years now

Fully speced you're well past a grand though

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Few misconceptions there

Aeron chairs tilt and lock in a forward position for keyboard and mouse use
You can have a headrest , mine matches the leather armrests i have on mine
The full speced one has fully adjustable lumbar support

The only thing you may find odd is mesh but i can assure you its way better than any exec leather chair i have ever owned and i have had mine for a fair few years now

Fully speced you're well past a grand though

No misconceptions.

My first paragraph was about most office chairs, I didn't mean things like the Aeron, Embody or OM5, they're what I was referring to in my second paragraph. I know they're great.

But you did say no headrest which you can get , or did i read that wrong

Only issue is the fully specced cost ,close to 1400 now

I have a friend in spain who builds sim systems

Not cheap though

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Motion rig, those actuators are hilariously expensive.

If I wanted to fit a motion setup to mine it'll set me back the best part of... €10k.

Nah, you're alright.

DCi
a9ac23967e99f3c273de102a8f140df7.jpg

This is my chair. From okra, Malkom I think - quite like it

Had a gaming chair but too small for a 6 footer