ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ceramic protection?

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
So I have just purchased a new car and a lot of people are saying about ceramic coatings to protect the paintwork, wheels and glass.

Would anyone recommend this method for protection?

Also if they do recommend this service is there anyone in the Wrexham area that carries out this service?

The car in questions a mk3 focus RS.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I've recently used some glass based coating from Auto Allure (a trader on here) on my dads car, excellent stuff and well worth it. Not sure I'd pay someone to do it as it's quite pricey, but I have the gear needed so did it myself.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Definitely worth doing, but it won't protect from stone chips.

You'll need a PPF for that.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Yeah.

If done properly it's very good and you can hardly see it.

@Irfan had it done on his RS3 and it looked the best i've seen tbh.

Hmm that maybe something to look at to cover stone chip potential areas after the ceramic coating then.

PH1 V6
Hmm that maybe something to look at to cover stone chip potential areas after the ceramic coating then.
Hi,
I had the PPF to the front of my CSL, I went to PaintShield in Peterborough.
I was also having the gTechnic ceramic coating.
The lady that owns PaintShield, Annie IIRC, recommended having the PPF prior to the ceramic coating as she said they'd have problems getting the PPF to stick if the had been ceramic coated first.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Don't ceramic under PPF as it won't adhere properly and I'd advise against applying a ceramic on top as it forms a solid barrier over a flexible film so counteracting it.
I do on average a brand new car a week (full coatings inside and out) - no better way of protecting in my view. PPF takes it a level further.
Dan at UAS is your local Gtechniq centre - great guy and can sort you out :)

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Listen to Andy.
Thanks mate. I'm no guru but do enough of them to know my stuff lol.
I'd use something like Gtechniq c2 or similar but not a "bonded" coating like Serum
You can now get hydrophobic PPF with (I think) a 10 year guarantee - we applied it to an Alfa Giulia QF a while back now and it repelled water as well as, if not better than, exo which is pretty slippery.
We always machine areas to be PPF'd and clay thoroughly again before application to ensure the surface is beyond squeaky clean.
The latest films are pretty awesome with the stealth ones being particularly good - we have this on the Focus RS we use as a demonstrator and it's practically invisible.

Are these ceramic coatings all nano-technology based? I'm still not comfortable with the idea that all the nano-stuff we put on will be gradually washing into the ground, into the rivers, and potentially into the food chain...

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Are these ceramic coatings all nano-technology based? I'm still not comfortable with the idea that all the nano-stuff we put on will be gradually washing into the ground, into the rivers, and potentially into the food chain...
Most are yes. However the coatings don't produce a residue which rinses away. The shampoos and associated maintenance products are designed to create work with the base products in much the same way as other cleaning chemicals. Even washing used towels after coating is unlikely to cause an issue as the residue can't be washed out.
Understand your concern but personally I'd. E more worried above some of the chemicals used by cheap hand car wash places and the damage they could do.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I used Gyeon Rim Q2 and the Gyeon Q2M Cure on my new wheels. This was to help prevent the brake dust casuing havoc on track. Worked a treat. I went with this as it said it could handle high heat and chemicals. Also helped to keep the wheels clean and were easer to clean to. I will be using it again when I get my daily car's wheels refurbed.
I am sure they do other products for body work.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
I used Gyeon Rim Q2 and the Gyeon Q2M Cure on my new wheels. This was to help prevent the brake dust casuing havoc on track. Worked a treat. I went with this as it said it could handle high heat and chemicals. Also helped to keep the wheels clean and were easer to clean to. I will be using it again when I get my daily car's wheels refurbed.
I am sure they do other products for body work.
They do. My Saab has the full suite of Gyeon coatings to paint, wheels and body. Personal preference having used both remains Gtechniq at the moment but there are some excellent Gyeon products - Wetcoat and Tire being 2 in particular.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
So what's best to do then for protection of an everyday car?

PPF and then normal wax on other areas?

Also I have this place on my doorstep.

http://www.wizardsofdetailing.co.uk/contact-us-2-w.asp

Anyone have any reviews on them?
I'd recommend ceramic coating or a polymer sealant - the latter if you like to maintain your own paint after as you can add layers. The downside with ceramic is relative lack of (I.e. No need to) top up behind in Gtechniq's case annually check and exo top-up.
What neither will do is protect to the extent of PPF as this is designed to offer "ultimate" protection.
Personally I'd PPF the front end (bonnet, wings, lights and mirror backs) and ceramic the rest.