ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cd radio satnav replacement

VW Golf Type R
Hi,looking for some help,similar topic but not quite.
So my daughters started working some distance from home 100 mile round trip.
Bought an aftermarket Pioneer cd radio Bluetooth.
Connect 2 cable didn’t work, connect totally us regards helping me, closed my call twice.
Halfords not much better said I need to run a cable from fusebox to radio, but above my knowledge.
So thought I can put a more modern unit in with Bluetooth.
Found this, but need to find a code, anyone know where to look?
Thanks folks
PC
6E2BCE8F-DE31-45F5-8B75-C3BCAC8A0434.jpeg
9DF54201-4A6D-46FF-B4D2-6097BF63D104.jpeg
B6494DD1-35C0-4723-BCF6-5C14749E1F17.jpeg

Isnt the connect2 just for the stalk/steering wheel control?

Whats the issue with the Pioneer radio? I ran a Sony Bluetooth un)!it with no issues at all (no connects2 either)

Theres a couple on ebay with a code that looks the same model as youve pictured?

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Using an after market unit should be really easy, even the connects2 cables are straight forward (as mentioned this is only for the stalk controls to work and there is an additional patch lead and some jiggery pokery required to get it working). However just putting in a new unit should be plug and play, no extra cables required.

VW Golf Type R
The Clio cables aren’t compatible with the Pioneer, the Connect 2 cables are meant to join the clio cable to the Pioneer, you buy an extra Connect 2 cable to use with the remote hand controls.
Neither worked.
Pioneer wouldn’t switch on, no power!
Thanks though.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
That's odd as the stereo will have a standard loom, they were all standardised years ago as manufacturers were coming up with all sorts of random wiring looms. I find it odd that it doesn't work. I'd be interested to know why if you manage to find out.

Im assuming you know that sometimes you need to swap the red and yellow cables over and also sometimes they need to be plugged into the same plug to get them to work? The looms you get with the stereo are normally setup to allow you to move these about as that is something can differ between cars and stereos.

VW Golf Type R
I have zero cable knowledge, the cables are totally different into the pioneer bud.

Attachments

• 9785911E-78A8-4061-942F-64EFBFD63607.jpeg
    9785911E-78A8-4061-942F-64EFBFD63607.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 64
  • B5E68949-7F09-471A-B0C8-B567728AD5CC.jpeg
    B5E68949-7F09-471A-B0C8-B567728AD5CC.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 7290AD1A-C878-462E-A719-ADD7820A4871.jpeg
    7290AD1A-C878-462E-A719-ADD7820A4871.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 58
  • 6A5D352C-B816-4EFB-B1A8-552406347FC5.jpeg
    6A5D352C-B816-4EFB-B1A8-552406347FC5.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 64

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
So with the pioneer there should be another set of cables that the clio loom plugs into that converts the loom to the pioneer wiring, all plug and play. One sec and I'll dig out a photo.
Looks like you need and ISO to 16 pin connecter, if @SharpyClio can grab an image for you it should make more sense

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If you don't know what you're doing why haven't you taken the car to a car audio place and has them install the stereo properly?

VW Golf Type R
Because they wanted £165!! I paid £98/for the Pioneer unit.
That’s just a rip off.
I can sell the Pioneer and buy an older Clio Tom Tom unit for£30
I might not be great electrical wise but I’m no mug mate.
That’s a rip off.

Back to the original question re where to look for a code for the replacement oem headunit, ive used services off of ebay, just message them first to see if they can decode that particular model.

Search 'renault radio decode'

VW Golf Type R
  VW Golf Type R
Thanks Trick,cheers mate,I’m a welder and fabricator, can do most things, wiring a bit more complex to my mind.
Hence you helpful guys…..well most of you! 😳😈😈😂😂

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member

Except I’d does zilch! 😳🤷‍♂️.
View attachment 1578320

Thats odd, the only other thing I would try is swapping the yellow and red bullets over, one is the permanent live the other the switched live, that varies from brand to brand hence they are bulleted.

Also worth checking the small fuse just in case.

Thats if you want to have another bash, £165 for fitting does seem a lot for what should be a simple swap over. I've been installing audio (as a hobby and with / for friends) since before I could drive, its very rare a head unit swap requires any sort of "new wiring".

VW Golf Type R
Cheers sharpy I’ll give it a bash.
My mates a sparky and would be able to find the live at least.
He’s clueless with cars though….he bought a Chrysler PT Cruiser! 😳😳🤢🤢,enough said?

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, so A7 is the switched live based on that with A4 being the permanent live. On the stereo the switched live will be yellow. So looking at the loom you added before the yellow wire looks like its A4 is switched live and (although hard to see on the photo) permeant live is A7. So they look to be switched in the Clio. Just swap the bullet connectors around and check the fuse (it shouldn't have blown from the cables being wrong but I always double check) and then plug it all in, the unit should whirr as it has a CD unit and then when you turn the ignition on should spring into life.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I did as you suggested trick but still no power, whether the ignition is on or off.

Okay, so that is odd. Assume you checked the fuse? Does the original or the other replacement you got seem to have power?

The only other thing I can think of is that there is a problem with the stereo itself, its rare but I have seen them break before.

Without seeing it im out of ideas now... sorry. Where abouts are you based (on the off chance its nearby)

VW Golf Type R
Fuse is fine , put the original back in and it all powers up and works as normal.
So there’s a power cable somewhere.
Which is why I couldn’t understand the Halfords guy saying you need to wire it direct to the fusebox?

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Fuse is fine , put the original back in and it all powers up and works as normal.
So there’s a power cable somewhere.
Which is why I couldn’t understand the Halfords guy saying you need to wire it direct to the fusebox?

Yeah that sounds like rubbish to me, i've never done a separate live for a stereo swap. Im missing something just struggling to figure it out...

VW Golf Type R
Lol, no, didn’t think so Trick ☹️😂😂😂,but thanks bud.
I’m gonna try and remap every cable on the drawing to the wiring diagram I got off the net the Pioneer.
Somethings not right that the cable is live for the oem radio but not the aftermarket pioneer?

just need to find my colouring in pens mate 😳😎

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Do you have a multimeter to test that the positive live and the accessory live are working as intended in the car?

Im pretty sure I had to reverse the connectors on my Sony unit, as in:

Red ---> Yellow
Yellow ---> Red

VW Golf Type R
I don’t think I do,but screwfix is five minutes down the road.
Amazon could have delivered by the time I got in the car ffs! 😳😂😂.
I changed the red and yellow but no difference, no power hitting the Pioneer, but works for original radio.
I’m gonna change the fuse in the pioneer just in case, albeit it looks perfect.
Thanks green 👍☺️

Fyi its @SharpyClio whose been helping you out, not me 😂

I know certain cars dont have a permanent live in the normal radio loom e.g. E9X BMWs, what model car is it, did you mention TomTom edition?

As daft as it sounds, when you've tested the pioneer radio, you have turned the ignition on havent you?

Factory radio if i remember right will work without the key but aftermarket wont...

Edit: could you check the pioneer in a friends car - quickly whip it out and test on another car just to rule out the headunit?

Reactions: Gus

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
I had a Clio 200, swapped the stereo for an aftermarket but it didnt work until the engine was actually running.

VW Golf Type R
I turned the key , but made no difference guys.
Asked my mates,but all so far are inbuilt units, like the Ford Focus, Audi,Mercs,beemers.
No older cars that just have a “normal rectangle radio” 🤷‍♂️☹️.
If I can’t get it working,I’ll try get a newer TomTom compatible radio/cd player.
I’m thinking of buying an older MX5 later in the year, I’ll keep it fir that, hoping it’s compatible.
It has Bluetooth and Dab and zi know the 2013+ MX5s are still,old hat audio wise.
It’s only the latest MX5 that is techie audio wise.
It’s a 2011 1.2 Dynamique Tom Tom.

cheers guys.

VW Golf Type R
Fyi its @SharpyClio whose been helping you out, not me 😂

I know Trick, I was replying to your bullet question further….further..further up lol, re codes lol.

sharpys being a great help , I’m not giving up……just yet lol!

besides it seems to be keeping you lot awake lol! ,so entertainment value must be good 😳😂😂😂🤔

VW Golf Type R
Unlucky Sharpy cos it’s having the reverse affect with me..these wiring diagrams are putting me to sleep 😴 🛌 💤
😂😂😂

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Okay, that’s interesting. The radio on is likely to be from the stalk control though. Totally didn’t spot that, so yours ont en same based on the images, looks like you only have one live on the iso connector, so the speech must be elsewhere as noted.

So you basically need to find a switched live and just link to that, I also bet there’s a harness converter you can buy.