ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cats

Black Gold Cup Packed 182
Been taking a few snaps of my 2 cats, Boots and Marge :)

Any tips to getting better pictures? Im new to this photography game.

3390011097_4a1b1873b0_b.jpg

3390014109_36c137af4a_b.jpg

3390015147_b905e11a38_b.jpg

3390828788_9a63f0c287_b.jpg

3390829816_c329c185fd_b.jpg

3390018347_4aae74c546_b.jpg

3390019285_1df2672736_b.jpg

3390013043_aaea9ca203_b.jpg

3390012121_40c8773825_b.jpg

C+C Welcome. :)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Try playing with POF (Point of Focus)
I'm no photographer but for head on Pics I'd say Focus on the Middle of the Nose

Black Gold Cup Packed 182
Yea they love it, the are brother and sister but we got them seperately. At first it was WW3 but now you couldnt seperate them :)

Ian

Focus TDCi
Firstly, what camera are you using Paulie? Do you mind posting up your Flickr address?

I'll assume that you're using a camera with manual controls, not just auto. My best tip is to use less flash, or at least use it in a way that complements the situation. However that usually means buying a separate flash. The reasons I say don't use a flash are:

- It throws the rest of the scene into darkness and can lead to some distracting shadows and highlights, which gives the photo a very unnatural feel. Unless you're being arty, what you're aiming to achieve with a photo is something that looks the same as what you see with your eyes. you don't get this with a harsh flash.
- Also if you have ambient light and/or indoor lighting as well as the flash, then the camera can struggle to correctly predict the white balance, throwing colours completely off.
- Finally, due to the colour of your cats, i.e. predominantly white, they can become overexposed if you don't meter the scene correctly. The camera predicts an exposure that suits the average light of the scene; however as the fur is out of the middle-ground as it were, it gets over-exposed. (this may just be my laptop screen)

However! Unless you have a fast lens (one with a aperture that can go below ~f/4 [for a DSLR]) you're going to struggle to get a better photo of a cat indoors for a number of reasons:

- Lack of natural light means you have to either compromise on shutter speed or aperture to increase the amount of light hitting the sensor. Compromising on shutter speed isn't really an option unless your cat is asleep, as they move around alot and so long shutter speeds would just lead to blurring. Even when they're 'asleep' they have an uncanny ability to move when you don't want them to. Therefore you're pretty much forced into using a wider aperture. This automatically reduces the depth of field (at close range anyway), making it harder to keep all of the cat in focus.

I hope firstly that what I've written is accurate (I'm in doubt that I'll be corrected on at least something, if not everything :p) and secondly that it makes sense. As for how to improve your shots get your cats outdoors, or at least near a window, it will be sooo much easier!

Edit: got a bit carried away there! Hope this helps, it may be largely useless if you're using a point and shoot. The first two shots have come out well. :)

Last edited:

Ian

Focus TDCi
Just found out that you're using a bridge camera? (Konica?) In which case, what I've written above kind of applies, but not totally. There's not really any way you'd get away without using flash I don't think. I'd just keep shooting, it's the best way to get your eye in. :) As mentioned above, natural light will do wonders for any shot.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Loving the cat cuddles ...

Cat pics need captions :
funny-pictures-cat-gets-invisible-chin-scratches.jpg

:D

But on a serious note - even with a bridge you can get some great shots ! Here are some i got last year with my bridge of my uncle's cat for inspriation..:

DSCF0209.png

DSCF0378.png

DSCF0202.png

DSCF0361.png

DSCF0363.png

last one is a bit fuzzy but you get the idea hah !

Sorry for pic whoring !

:cool: