ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cats, whos had this done?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
CatMod4Small.gif

Thats what he means people!

BTW, I can't see why not. I have heard of some cars passing the emissions with decats fitted lol

Basically opening up the diameter of the rear joint on the cat?

Can't see why it won't pass, the cat is still there, and so is all the ceramic internals.

Lionel Richie
if someone wants to donate a car for this to be done on, i'm sure we can arrange a before/after power run to see if it does anything

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Fred@BTM said:
if someone wants to donate a car for this to be done on, i'm sure we can arrange a before/after power run to see if it does anything
Il come down you can do it to mine :D

200 Gordini
Ive had it done, not by mark fish though. TBH he charges and extortionate amount for what he does.

I did have a small blow on the part of the cat that is cut off but it is a great little mod. The revs pick up quicker and climb more freely, this may be because i previously had a crack though. Fred told me it wouldnt make that much of a difference but anything less restrictive must help when tied together with other mods.

I cant really say anything about MPG because of the blow i had but i wouldnt say much has changed.

IMG_0080.jpg

182 trackday racer
The area increases by 60% so it is a big restriction. From what I’ve heard it is there to generate higher pressure in the cat = you get working temperature up faster in the cat = better emissions from cold start. Just drive the car some before MOT so the cat is hot and it will be no problem at all.

Also mind that stock air pipes to the inlet also have a 60% restriction. Just change the tubing and remove the acoustic valve and you will have a different car I can assure you.

Ph 1 172

shame you aint near but a 6-7hour round trip is a bit much lol

so how much are people paying to get this done then? becuase surely if its more than £130 your better off getting a decat and just swopping the cat out come each mot?

looks as though all you need is a piece of pipe and a welder

the one in the first photo just looks tack welded - presumably a mock up, as it won't be gas tight

200 Gordini
Generally what happens when you go to motorsport professionals mate, especially ones with championship winning history behind them!

Wasnt meant to offend anyone or their work but you don't a need championship winning history to cut a bit of metal and weld a bit of stainless steel.

You need a good welder lol

I think i read he charges £200 to do it. Fred, you must agree that is alot for what he does?

Oh, mine passed an MOT a week later :)

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
what mark charges is upto him, but fair play to him he's a chamipionship winner!

I would be around 2 hours labour (£80) plus around £20-£30 in bits (would use flanges so you could unbolt the cat still) plus the vat

no offense taken at all, but welding/fabrication isn't as simple as people think, look at miltek even they f**k it up!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Ive had it done, not by mark fish though. TBH he charges an extortionate amount for what he does.

Lets not make sweeping statements.

Location/Service/Quality of work are all factors at work here. You haven't spoken to him. Yet you go on the attack. Very unfair indeed.

Black Gold Trophy
I really want to do this, the joint is absolutely crap on the 182s never seems to seal 100% properly.
I've got a mig welder and stainless wire, but what do you use to cut the cat? My hacksaws never seem to cut a straight line although it's probably user error :eek:

Black Gold Trophy
any one done this on the scorpion rs192 system? problem is the entry pipe into the silencer on the centre pipe is only 2 inch, will need to cut that out first but it's a bugger as I think the internal diameter of the silencer box is only 2 inch!

RSC 182 Cup
The RS192 centre res inlet is 2" and it appears to internally enlarge to 2.25"(?) at it's outlet. So, you'd need to replace your centre resonator.

Black Gold Trophy
hmm I would have thought if it enlarges to anything it would be 2.5 inch? I'll have to get on the phone to scorpion and find out!

RSC 182 Cup
Just checked their website and it's 2.5" (hence the question mark I put after 2.25" - I wasn't 100% sure what size it was.)

But, the bottom line is the inlet piping to the muffler AND the muffler internal diam at it's inlet is 2".

Black Gold Trophy
Just checked their website and it's 2.5" (hence the question mark I put after 2.25" - I wasn't 100% sure what size it was.)

But, the bottom line is the inlet piping to the muffler AND the muffler internal diam at it's inlet is 2".

Yeah I know the exit from the centre silencer is 2.5 inch, BUT unless the internal diameter of the perforated tube inside the silencer is 2.5 inch, there would be no benefit in welding a 2.5 inch entry pipe to it :(

RSC 182 Cup
Yeah I know the exit from the centre silencer is 2.5 inch, BUT unless the internal diameter of the perforated tube inside the silencer is 2.5 inch, there would be no benefit in welding a 2.5 inch entry pipe to it :(

Hence my earlier comment about needing a new centre resonator. ;)

IMHO you'd totally change the character of the RS192 system by enlarging that section. You will most likely get a lot more exhaust noise (it might even make it drone inside?) and might lose some lower rev range performance.

Golf GTD Mk7
Andyman said:
Wonder if that cat mod really makes a difference or if its just in theory...?

Had mine before and after tested with btb system, modded cat and inlets on the same rollers. 10bhp and 15lbft increase. And it WILL pass mot :)

Have a look at the mod BTB did on the cat. Nice bit of work to be honest. Holds the CAT higher too. £80 it cost to get done.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showpost.php?p=5944040&postcount=126

Last edited:

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST
sorry to bring up the oldest thread ever.

But i want to ask my local garage to do this for me as the cat join is shagged !

Does anyone have a pic of the standard cat that i could use to show them what i want cut and fabricated ?

Cheers guys !

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST
To the guys that have had this done:

How much damage should i be looking at to get this done ? And will i need to provide the peice of pipe or will a decent garage be able to sort it out ?
Does the cut need to be just at the second sensor.... is that the part which is 2.5" and then get the straight 2.5" pipe welded onto there ? Also how long is the piece of pipe you guys used from the cat outlet to the catback section or will this differ per exhaust ?
Will this connection being solid prevent the exhaust from moving/flexing ?

Cheers guys, sorry for the 20 questions.. just want as much info before getting this done... As i daresay the garage will have never done this before...