ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Catchup time! BTCC & WEC

Oil Burner
So i've been pretty quiet on here lately. I've had a pretty disappointing start to the year photographically speaking, and haven't really had enough images i deemed worth showing you guys for C&C.

However I think i have finally got enough that it's worth a post, some a bit different, some i just like. It's certainly not my strongest set, but hoping to put that right with some DTM and Nurburgring 24hr next weekend!

As always C&C encouraged!

1. BTCC Media day.

BTCC_MEDIA-DAY_2013-0662-L.jpg

2. First time shooting any kind of 1 on 1 portraits - baptism of fire!

BTCC_MEDIA-DAY_2013-6430-L.jpg

3. BTCC Brands Hatch - not a photographically good image, but quite impressive nevertheless.

BTCC_BRANDS_HATCH_2013-2230-1-L.jpg

4. WEC Silverstone. Would you believe it, the guy that sent me here was sunning himself in Monza at the time!

WEC_SILVERSTONE-7583-2-L.jpg

5. WEC

WEC_SILVERSTONE-9132-L.jpg

6. Wish i had spotted you could do this with the Audi Headlights earlier.

WEC_SILVERSTONE-9188-L.jpg

7. WEC

WEC_SILVERSTONE-8891-L.jpg

8. WEC Porker

WEC_SILVERSTONE-8418-L.jpg

9. Once again making full use of the Media pass...

COLLARD-L.jpg

10. Some guy crouched in a field.

GRIFFIN-3-L.jpg

11. Some Honda's driving through a tree

BTCC_THRUXTON_2013-1463-L.jpg

12. A Toyota driving past some people

BTCC_THRUXTON_2013-4550-L.jpg

13. A man write on a tyre

BTCC_THRUXTON_2013-9706-L.jpg

14. A BMW Parks

BTCC_THRUXTON_2013-9823-L.jpg

15. A Tall driver looks at a broken Honda

BTCC_THRUXTON_2013-0282-L.jpg

Oil Burner
Sounds good! I wont be there until after the race starts as i'm shooting DTM at Brands Hatch Sunday afternoon. But i'm sure i will have time on Monday.

Honestly, some great individual shots but as a set they don't 'wow' me like your shots almost always do, but I appreciate it must be incredibly hard to come up with something new. I realise saying that is useless without saying why, but as an example I don't think the framing of the 'through the trees/crowd' shots are as spot on as they often are, #5 and #7 are right on the money, but the others have fairly significant distractions, #3 isn't something I would expect in a set of yours. I think the development of your paddock/people stuff is very interesting though, you have a great eye for that stuff and it's improving all the time.

(I feel bad saying that considering my own photos aren't nearly as good, and how well taken these are compared to 99% of motorsport photos out there!)

#4 is a standout image for me, the depth, the framing, the perfectly un-cropped Michelin sign, love it. Somewhat ironic considering it's not your usual style of shot imo.

​Really looking forward to your 'Ring stuff though, I can imagine you can really stretch your legs (creatively and physically!) there.

Oil Burner
Cheers Chris, Thats a nice honest summery of it. And you do basically hit the nail on the head.

This season i've started working for another photographer/agency for BTCC. Which means i'm shooting to a brief (as such), so i cant spend all race looking for cool shots or trying to nail one perfectly. This is why i only have one image from Brands in this selection - the others are just boring to be honest. (the one i did post was more as it impressed me you could get that much flame to come out of a touring car exhaust!

WEC was an event i was really looking forward to, unfortunately due to the rules i couldn't get in the pits, got thrown out of the garages when i tried to go in them, and then Some lovely person kicked my mirror off on Sunday. So it all left me in a bit of a grump to be honest and i left 2 hours before the race finished. Having found only 1 angle that i felt was cool. The rest like 4,6,8 i felt were just nice angles. But any Tom dick or Harry could shoot those. Much more research is needed before F1!

I would also say i'm struggling to put these threads together a bit, i've always maintained i post these to get genuine feedback on experimental images or styles i'm trying out. Not to boost my ego. However when you've shot a circuit for 5 years, these opportunities start to run dry. So content for these posts is few and far between. I could post up alot of shots that i did last year - but that's not what i see this thread as doing.

I cannot wait for DTM/N24. I'm going to go a bit crazy and just shoot anything, i will have about 28 hours of trackside time available over 2.5 days so i will probably shoot about 10-15k of images i would think! I expect to be broken by the end of it, but as long as i can get just a few really stand out images it will all be worth it!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Epic photos as always, Nick. I can’t wait for the Oulton round of the BTCC, it’ll be the first proper test of the Sigma 100-300 F4 I’ll be in the ownership of by then.

Oil Burner
Epic photos as always, Nick. I can’t wait for the Oulton round of the BTCC, it’ll be the first proper test of the Sigma 100-300 F4 I’ll be in the ownership of by then.

Cool, that's still the lens i regret selling the most!