ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat to Centre join - Uprated Clamp?

RB 182 FF
Hi all,

My cat to centre join is blowing again - I have had it resealed and refitted twice and have also replaced all the mounts as well as the mani-cat join so this is really irritating now since all I can hear is a hissing when I should hear the engine!

Has anyone got any experience with an uprated clamp? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUT...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0ef84ad8

Mine is currently a sort of C shape and then becomes tightened by one bolt. This design doesnt fill me with confidence since it looks pretty battered and is relying on just the single bolt.

If the aftermarket clamps are no good - has anyone got any advice? I had to have a weld on the Cat already since there was a slight crack but I have had the weld checked and its apparently still fine.

My thinking is that this join took a whack at some point in its life which caused the crack and may have battered the clamp a little.

I would really appreciate some advice on this as its driving me crazy!

Thanks,
NJ

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
the ebay one is cheap. usually about £2. I don't like them after stripping threads on them very easily (by hand!!) I only use and stock genuine ones now which look almost identical but are much better quality, and only a few £ more

The ebay one has been fine for me. But as Dan mentioned they are a tad flimsy.

Mine has been off and on 3 times now. Personally I've found the way that works best of me is not to over tighten the clamp, but use so much silicone sealant that it looks like Steve Wonder has been plastering a wall.

Edit: Other thing you can do is get a sleeve join welded in, solved problem all together.

RB 182 FF
Thanks for quick replies - it is interesting that you say the genuine ones look the same as the Ebay ones - are they single bolt on one side clamps?

Maybe the one I have on there is wrong or old - here is a picture.
20120904_133514.jpg

It's going up on the ramps again tonight just to double check that the weld hasnt split again (you can see some black on the cat where the crack was previously) but it might be worth just getting a new clamp I suppose.

Cheers

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
that is an original clamp, but if you buy a new one from renault now it looks like the ebay one, but less flimsy

don't use exhaust paste, it goes hard and cracks. Use high temp silicon.

new clamp, 100% needed. not even a question tbh, just do it

RB 182 FF
Thanks for the help - Ill still get it on the ramp this evening to check the weld and if it all looks good I will order a clamp and get that on there.

CursedTitanium 182FF
The easiest way to seal them is to put a bead of high temp silicon on both joins & let it dry, then just bolt it together. Did it this way on mine, it's been fine ever since.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Agree to silicon - I use Loctite's high temp copper coloured stuff (they even sell it in Halfords). The more prep you do to clean it before use the longer it seems to last. Mine usually lasts for six months with plenty of hammer down!

RB 182 FF
Just on the join to the centre pipe. I had it re welded but it may have split again. The whole join is difficult to get right , eventually im going to have it setup differently. In the meantime im going to take it all apart re do the weld get a new clamp and try some high temp silicone as suggested. Since the exhaust is all straight having renewed all the mounts it shouldn't split again. Actually if you look at the pic I posted you can see some.black soot which OS where the crack was.