ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caster. Is it adjustable?

Ph2 Clio 172
My car is pulling left. Does it ever so slightly under acceleration, but gets stronger when coasting off throttle. From what i remember from my 4 wheel alignment the only unbalanced figures were the front caster, which had about half a degree difference (I've lost the print out). Could this cause this? And if so can you adjust caster with standard parts? If not, is it indicative of something being shagged?

Many.
Not adjustable from factory, but theres a chance one of your wishbones has been changed for a less/more caster one, as for example, most 172's exc cup come with normal wishbones, while Cups and 182's come with added caster.

Build tollerances at the factory can cause issues too, and it would most likely be the wishbone bushes worn causing excessive caster, as theres not a lot else other than topmount, which is unlikely despite how terrible the standard top mounts are.

Ph2 Clio 172
Its got worse since getting the alignment done, but I had the toe in reduced to zero so maybe that just masked it a bit? Top mounts and bushes are likely originals on a 10 year old/120k car so might simply be old and worn.

PB Clio 172
you had a 4 wheel alignment but you cant adjust the rears.... ? I Geo'ed mine the other day rears are not adjustable

I would get a proper Geo done ie an up to date one not a crappy laser etc.

Ph2 Clio 172
It was on a hunter 3 weeks ago. Rears was to get a reading on camber before I look at getting shims. Front was needed as I had the tie rods replaced.

Caster was the same before and after, but toe went from quite a bit of toe in to parallel, so I think that masked the pulling.

LY FF182
you had a 4 wheel alignment but you cant adjust the rears.... ? I Geo'ed mine the other day rears are not adjustable

I would get a proper Geo done ie an up to date one not a crappy laser etc.

4 wheel alignment doesn't mean adjusting all 4.. Just means taking into account all 4 wheels when setting the adjustable parts