ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carpark induced sadness

Clio Sport 182
It was raining, I was with our toddler and in a moment of weakness I parked near the entrance when we went to the garden centre. Walking up to the car my heart sank when I saw a piece of paper tucked under the wiper, a request to call a number which was a few digits short. The damage would be considered minor in anyone's book and on my other car (a newer Mondeo) I'd not bat an eyelid, but my 182 is more special. Being black the light makes it show.

I've attached some photos, can anyone say whether this is possible as a DIY fix? It's always expensive when you go to the garden centre, but I've been quote £160 for it. Alternatively, I could buy a bonnet on eBay, but it's the black paint with gold flecks in so I'd guess that would be hard to find and the condition of one on eBay could be hard to tell. Does anyone know if any other models have the same bonnet shape and came with the same black paint with gold flecks?

The grey plastic grill pulled back out (~10mm) easily but could someone please confirm that the painted grey metal bit behind the passenger side grill (light end) is supposed to be there. I can't believe it isn't, but it looks a tad funny.

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 204
  • Image00008.jpg
    Image00008.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 203
  • Image00010.jpg
    Image00010.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 192

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Things like this really grip my s**t. Absolute f*****g a***holes. Take it there is no CCTV in the car park?

The actual bonnet shape is the same from the 172 through to the 182. The 182 was the only model that came in black/gold. A lot of the bonnets seem to suffer from rust on the front edge on the 182. If you could get a bonnet it is a easy DIY fit. I have done them on my own, but easier with a second set of hands.

Not too sure which bit you are referring too behind the grill so can't confirm if normal or not.

Gutted for you. People are so dishonest. They obviously knew they had done it and someone must have seen it for them to make it look like they were leaving a note. Hopefully a good bonnet will come up for sale cheap you can swap over and the person who did it ended up in a bush up the road after driving off.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I feel your pain with this as I had someone reverse into my rear quarter in a Volvo so you can imagine the damage!

It may be easier to find a decent non-sport bonnet and get it resprayed in Black Gold

Clio Sport 182
Thanks Mbeau. I had a look at the bonnet to see what replacing it would involve and it looks to be four nuts and one hose connector. A difficulty could be that I think it is painted assembled so the paint will have formed a bond?

I had thought that the paint was unique to the Clio Sport, any idea what its name is?

The metal behind the grill is hard to see but circled in the attached photo.

Attachments

• Image00008_circled.jpg
    Image00008_circled.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 73
  Clio Sport 182
Thanks dCi_rep. Carparks always worry me. The spaces are too small for the size cars have grown to these days and too many people are just incapable of maneuvering. End of rant.

I'll look into the respray route, but after buying a bonnet it may come to >= £160. Any idea what the paint Black/Gold colour is called?

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thanks Mbeau. I had a look at the bonnet to see what replacing it would involve and it looks to be four nuts and one hose connector. A difficulty could be that I think it is painted assembled so the paint will have formed a bond?

I had thought that the paint was unique to the Clio Sport, any idea what its name is?

I will have a look at mine in a bit to see if I can work out what that is behind the grill.

Have removed a few bonnets and just the 4 bolts(two on each hinge) and the hose for the washer jets. Then the bonnet has always just lifted off. Never had any problems with them being bonded with paint.

Paint code should be on the label in the drivers door shut. Black/gold I believe is code 267.

Clio Sport 182
Thanks Mbeau, you really know your stuff! Attached is a photo of one of the driver's side door shut labels. So it's the TE267 is it? Out of interest, what are the other codes?

Attachments

• ClioDoorLabel.png
    ClioDoorLabel.png
    1 MB · Views: 73

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

Can't really make it out, but this might help decipher it (from my car)

FZOBdwy.png

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Black Gold isn’t the hardest colour to spray but on something like a bonnet it ain’t the easiest. Try and look into the route of a nice crisp bonnet and a respray for it.

Where abouts are you in the UK as I know a few body shops that could help out if need be

Clio Sport 182
I'm based near Cambridge. I've visited one garage that does bodywork and they gave me an idea of cost to straighten and paint (£160)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Thanks Mbeau, you really know your stuff! Attached is a photo of one of the driver's side door shut labels. So it's the TE267 is it? Out of interest, what are the other codes?

The other codes are just for things like interior trim level and anything like cup packs and other things specced when the car was ordered.