ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CARBON DIPPING!!!

Grier

ClioSport Club Member
  A clio...
Just wanting to know if anyone has had any joy in dipping by themselves rather than paying for "professionals" to do it as the process doesnt seem that hard ?

As its a solid not a liquid how do you dip it ? carbon is a fibre thats weaved like matt hence the squared effect and its either wet layed and resined as you would fiberglass or its pre preg which is carbon matt inpregnated with the resin that requires a catalyst to make it set at high temp and done in an autoclave .....

pre preg is generally stronger , .

RS6 C7
As its a solid not a liquid how do you dip it ? carbon is a fibre thats weaved like matt hence the squared effect and its either wet layed and resined as you would fiberglass or its pre preg which is carbon matt inpregnated with the resin that requires a catalyst to make it set at high temp and done in an autoclave .....

pre preg is generally stronger , .
Carbon dipping is a form of "Printing" like this:

http://www.wickedcoatings.co.uk/carbon-dipping-2

It's actually a really good process IMO, Obviously just for looks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
sounds like he's on about the carbon fibre look type stuff. water printing.

sheet of ' look a like carbon ' put on the top of water with a glue sprayed on it, push the object through it and you have a carbon look peice.

It's permanent and looks pretty close to carbon.
here's a sample of a type 4 centre console
carbon%20dash.jpg

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
you can spray laquer over them. had a play with a few bits at work for a jaguar. we did the center caps for it. laquered them and they now make the wheels look badly done LOL

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Someone on 197.net was toying with the idea of this over a ly base coat... Looked incredibly gash. Is there any realistic looking carbon film for dipping? All the ones I've seen look painfully fake

depends how it's dipped, quality of the base coat and film. But I've seen/done a few that look very good

If done at home yeah you would probably get a s**t result.

But you can dip certain items that vinyl would never be able to do.

I'll have a few clio items done soon, and you can see how they come out.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I have a contact who runs RLR Motorsport they are going to be offering this as a service.. I'm waiting until I've had I few parts done myself and then will look at setting up a group buy / deal with them

133/225/CLS AMG
Friend of mine works at a place where they do this and had the fuel cap on his 07 Civic Type-R. Actually looks really good purely as it's a small part that may potentially be made of carbon fibre.

It's quite an impressive process, as said you couldn't wrap some items that you can dip.

Out of interest is there any way of removing it?

Grier

ClioSport Club Member
  A clio...
yes thats exactually what im on about and it's obviously for looks as some of the parts if seen look very realistic, take a look at wickedcoatings (think thats the name) their quality looks top notch and they offer home kits :) may be worth it as the process looks simple enough, how hard can it be ?<<<<< famous last words

Was going to say that carbon dip looks w**k as fook. Nothing like carbon it's as bad as those extremely cheap films you get which are black/really dark grey and have light grey pill shapes on it like in a zig-zag pattern.

As a CF laminator it has got to be real or GTFO. It also has to be prepreg, wet lay is dirty, messy, smelly and old fashioned method now which you will be left with a heavier, weaker product.
Some of the wet lay stuff I have seen for sale on here quite frankly looks horrendous and if I'm honest just screams chavvy, all imo of course :p

Golf but want a clio
Fair enough. I know theres no comparison really to the real thing (especially if you work with the stuff) but if you cant afford the real thing then its the next best thing and my stuff looks awesome. Everyone has said how realistic it looks. Id put up a pic but ive no clue how haha Techno phobe alert

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I knew a lad that had his 197 diffuser carbon dipped,
looked really good for a while, but the slightest stone chip and it started peeling off.

Fair enough. I know theres no comparison really to the real thing (especially if you work with the stuff) but if you cant afford the real thing then its the next best thing and my stuff looks awesome. Everyone has said how realistic it looks. Id put up a pic but ive no clue how haha Techno phobe alert

upload the photos to photobucket or flickr and copy and paste the links.
The biggest problem with wet lay for asthetics is that dry cloth distorts very easily and the second you have a bit of weave distortion is that the component then looks toilet. Perople don't quite seem to grasp that the job should be templated so you can place the carbon with no distortion and not just drape and stretch. From a structural point of view the second you start distorting the material you end up moving away from how the component has been designed and how it will behave under load etc

Golf but want a clio
Its not wet lay. Just googled that as i wasnt sure what you meant. Its water transfer printing. Ill sort pics out after

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Lol trust you to want this.

Cheaper than carbon skimming but more expensive than vinyl wrap. Looks much better than vinyl tho.

I'll have prices up beginning of December, but you can pop in Saturday if you like.

Cool, let me know when you get prices etc. Can't do this sat as Im down at Brands Hatch, but I'd love to come and see this before hand